10 months ago
Virtual Reality / Augmented Reality Research Engineer
£Competitive + 27 Days Holiday, Pension, Bonus
You will research and develop Virtual Reality & Augmented Reality prototypes to primarily support Research and New Product Innovation teams, with a focus on Robotics Research at Dyson.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is the heartbeat of Dyson. Nearly 3,000 people, including James himself, spend their days strategising, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. In 2017, our HQ will double its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
VR & AR is an area with a lot of exploring left to do, and with the rate of technology developments this is likely to remain true for a very long time, however it is also critical that we deliver functional, properly developed tools even as the landscape evolves. The highest priority is to produce real, significant, and lasting value to the business, this means investigating and utilising the right technologies and techniques while pragmatically balancing exploration verses exploitation.
You will be independent and methodical with excellent problem solving skills and will be comfortable rapidly picking up new technologies. You will have a thirst to overcome problems and limitations in order to reach our vision. Your role will include:
* Researching and applying relevant technologies
* Selection and use of appropriate tools for building VR & AR prototypes
* Ability to work equally effectively on both rapid VR & AR proof of concepts and small scale (but production ready) tools
* Collaboration with engineers of every type, in every area of the business
* BSc/MSc degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related subject or equivalent experience
* Strong background in 3D graphics, programming (C#/C++/Python), textures, shaders, and animation
* Experience of user interaction in VR/AR applications
* Experience working with a diverse range of Virtual and Augmented Reality technologies & tools
* Capable of rapidly developing robust research prototypes
* A strong understanding of what it means for a tool to be production ready and to critically assess its value
* Broad knowledge of the VR/AR landscape and emerging technologies
* Passionate about developing innovative and ground-breaking user experiences
* Ability to thrive in a high intensity development environment
* Areas of particular value: Unity, VRED, Robot Operating System (ROS), 3D art creation in Maya (modelling, texturing, rigging, animation, etc.), iOS/Android development, physics engines, game AI, machine learning, shaders, CUDA/OpenCL/etc., advertising, user interface design.
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.