6 months ago
Vehicle Dynamics Manager
Job number: UK12294
Career area: Design & Engineering
Region/State: East Midlands
Position type: Full Time
Job type: Permanent
About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Vehicle Dynamics Manager to join our Rail team to work in Derby.
* To lead the technical aspects of the delivery of gauging and vehicle dynamics projects;
* The Vehicle Dynamics Manager drives the technical strategy for the team and mentors junior team members; They lead customer projects, and research and development projects targeted at improving our position in the market;
* The Vehicle Dynamics Manager is a key point of contact for our customers and meets with customers as necessary to win new work or to present completed work. They contribute heavily to the growth of our business, particularly in the vehicle dynamics area.
What you'll be doing
As a Vehicle Dynamics Manager you will:
* Define the technical strategy for the department and the capability roadmap that will feed into the development of our gauging software in conjunction with the Head of Gauging and Vehicle Dynamics;
* Develop the technical expertise of the team, including vehicle dynamics and VAMPIRE modelling / simulation;
* Manage the financial performance of individual projects against budget, ensuring that the correct resources are working on the correct projects at the correct time;
* Steer the department strategy for growing the vehicle dynamics business;
* Represent and promote Omnicom Balfour Beatty at technical industry forums such as the V/S SIC at RSSB, and conferences;
* Ensure quality by reviewing and approving project work produced by other team members;
* Ensure that our work meets the required technical standards;
* Produce technical papers and presentations for inclusion in industry publications and online promotions;
* Contribute to continuous improvement – seek out and exploit opportunities for us to improve our performance and offerings.
Who we're looking for
The following qualities/experience are essential:
* Graduate or Post Graduate in an engineering discipline or equivalent from a leading university;
* Professional accreditation from a relevant industry body (e.g. IMechE);
* Experience of gauging analysis and vehicle modelling;
* Extensive experience of VAMPIRE modelling and simulation;
* Deep understanding of the theoretical basis for the swept envelope calculation process;
* Expert understanding of the Railway Group Standards and European Standards that govern gauging and vehicle dynamics;
* Excellent communicator – able to be successful with stakeholders, engineers, developers, and customers;
* Proactive approach to project management, the ability to anticipate problems in advance and plan an appropriate response;
* Ability to be assertive with resources and management when necessary;
* Ability to simultaneously manage resources, time, and goals to deliver the customer’s requirements;
* Self-starter attitude.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Balfour Beatty Rail Limited is an international leader in rail infrastructure engineering projects and the UK's largest rail engineering and services provider. We offer a full range of rail infrastructure activities from high-speed rail to mass rapid transit, covering urban, rural and commuter routes, for both public and private railways.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.