13 days ago
About the role
We are looking for a UX Design Lead who can see the possibility in every opportunity - from large transformational projects on big budgets to the small incremental quick wins that will provide millions of our customers with immediate improvements. Together with our design team you will help to develop long term vision along with the strategy for the future of design in Tesco.
You will be part of a team that design global enterprise tools and services, which hundreds of thousands of our Colleagues and external Supplier Partners use every day to communicate and do business with Tesco.
In this role, you will be strategic yet hands-on, you have a passion for craft and design and most of all clear vision of the future for user experience. You will guide our future research, develop design processes and inspire your team to together push the boundaries of what’s possible. You will be a mentor for talented members of your team, collaborate with leaders of Product, Data Science and Engineering teams to create innovative experiences across all of Tesco products.
With genuine appetite for complex information, you will have experience in deep user research, facilitation, ideation and technical implementation as well as a passion and energy for design and visual communication of your ideas. Insights and data (quant and qual) is what drives our team and you will use it to empower your decisions to support and enhance the lives of people when coupled with a clear understanding of their evolving needs.
As our ideal candidate, you're passionate about UX, love to understand the customers and are excited to champion their needs.
You will be responsible for
* Lead UX research and design squads. Line manage senior and junior: UX, UI designers and user researchers.
* Lead UX for some of the most important projects and initiatives
* Provide thought leadership and support for your peer designers
* Transforming complicated experiences into simple and intuitive solutions
* Take ownership of all end-to-end UX process activities, and champion human centered, customer focused experience design within immediate project area and in wider business
* Use appropriate UX research and design methods to bring the project team on the journey to deeply understand the user needs, goals, pain points and the underlying opportunities to improve our products and services.
* Apply deep systems thinking, service design, and think beyond the digital touchpoints or UI improvements as an optimal solution.
* Coordinate and conduct user-first discoveries, ethnographic research, as well as other appropriate behavioral and attitudinal research to help inform and evaluate design.
* Use multiple sources of data (quantitative measures and qualitative insights) research process to outline existing processes and ideate on the new experiences.
* Facilitate stakeholder (business and user) workshops, run appropriate ideation and participatory design sessions
* Storyboard, sketch, prototype and design delightful UI solutions that makes our user day-to-day lives better
* Work with feature development teams to make sure that the workflow reflects the customer's needs and ensure consistency among features.
* Develop expert-level knowledge of competitive and complementary products and bring new ideas to the team.
* Work with multidisciplinary teams across the business to Identify core customer missions, create user journeys and experiences that let our customers use our products seamlessly.
* In addition, work across the company’s multi-platform sites: and support experiences developed based on responsive design principles while contributing in development of our design system.
* Clearly present various stages of design development to business owners, team members and other stakeholders – bring them on the journey
* This role will best suit an individual who embraces unique skillsets of each team member and seeks team effort over individual achievements, is well organised, pragmatic and a lateral thinker with an inquisitive mind who is motivated to make change for the better and, most importantly, puts our customers first.
You will need
* Experience in leading high-performing, multi-disciplinary teams
* Deep expertise in user research, end-to-end design process, ideation, UI prototyping, user testing, and implementation.
* Experience in service design and systems thinking. You can approach design process holistically considering all key touchpoints (digital and non-digital), and able to think beyond UI design as a go to solution
* Expertise with a range of quantitative and qualitative research methods, and ability to measure design impact
* Expertise in human centered discovery and ethnographic research. You’ll have a direct and unlimited access to our users
* Expertise in appropriate research and design methods to deeply understand the as-is and propose to-be experiences
* Expertise in human factors, user psychology and what makes people tick
* Solid understanding of front-end, back-end, and the software development life cycle would be a great advantage (no coding required).
* Ability to work in partnership with Product Managers, peer UX and UI designers, as well as Engineering to align user centered design vision and activities with our business goals
* Bachelor’s degree or demonstrable experience in Interaction Design, Computer Interaction, Behavioral Psychology or other related field.
* Proficiency with the following tools: Miro, Sketch, Figma, Adobe Creative Suite and others
* Strong UX portfolio showcasing relevant experience case studies. User research, deep understanding of existing challenges, and collaboratively coming up with appropriate solutions are key
* 5+ years of experience
What’s in it for you
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren’t limited to:
• Annual bonus scheme where you can earn 10-15% of base salary
• Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (plus 8 Bank holidays)
• On-site state of the art gym at our Welwyn Campus with discounted “Gympass” membership & free health checks via Nuffield Health
• Retirement savings plan - save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
• Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
• Share Schemes – Join our ‘Buy As You Earn’ & ‘Save As You Earn’ share schemes after 3 months service
• Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a household member) after 3 months service
• Colleague Discounts:
• 10% increasing to 15% after every pay day for a four day period, off most purchases at Tesco
• 10% off One Stop
• 10% off pay monthly & SIM only deals with Tesco Mobile
• 20% off all F&F purchases
• 20% off car, pet and home insurance at Tesco bank. T&C’s apply
• 25% off Tesco Café
• 50% off complete glasses purchases & free eye tests (other offers available) at Vision Express
• 50% off health checks at Tesco Pharmacy
• An exclusive deals and discounts website saving you money on everyday purchases, treats for the family, eating out and utility bills for the home
• Cycle to work scheme
• Shuttle Bus Service to/from Hatfield & Welwyn Garden City Station to Welwyn Campus & Hatfield Offices
• Opportunities to get on - take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training, to help you achieve the job and career you want
• Our Employee Assistance Programme helps you deal with life’s challenges
• Financial wellness - Tesco has partnered with experts to help you make the most of your money
• Get involved in a range of fundraising activities with our long-term charity partners
Our vision here at Tesco is to become every customer's favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is ‘Serving Britain's shoppers a little better every day’. Our business was built with a simple mission – to be the champion for customers, helping them to enjoy a better quality of life and an easier way of living. This hasn't changed. Customers want great products at great value which they can buy easily and it's our job to deliver this in the right way for them. In the UK, we serve some 66 shoppers every second, so it's our goal to ensure every one of those customers experiences just a little better service on each visit.
At Tesco, inclusion means that Everyone’s Welcome. Everyone is treated fairly and with respect; by valuing individuality and uniqueness we create a sense of belonging.
Diversity and inclusion have always been at the heart of Tesco. It is embedded in our values: we treat people how they want to be treated. We always want our colleagues to feel they can be themselves at work and we are committed to helping them be at their best.
Across the Tesco group we are building an inclusive workplace, a place to actively celebrate the cultures, personalities and preferences of our colleagues – who in turn help to build the success of our business and reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.