about 1 year ago
Title : Urban Designer / Masterplanner (Technical Director / Associate Director)
Requisition ID :2018-32497
Work Location :GB-West Midlands-Birmingham
Department / Discipline : Environmental
Position Type : Staff / Permanent
Overview / Responsibilities
This is as an exciting opportunity to join our expanding multi-disciplinary office in Birmingham to lead the growth of masterplanning and urban design within an established development planning, environmental and engineering team. We are looking for a senior design professional with excellent knowledge and connections within the West Midlands market and with experience of winning work, managing client relationships and delivering high quality design outputs. You will be supported initially by the national design team, with the clear remit to grow business and establish a self- supporting design team, working closely with the wider Birmingham office team.
Roles and Responsibilties
This is a senior role with multiple responsibilities:
• Providing professional urban design and masterplanning advice (including design outputs and reports) for a wide range of clients and project types.
• Direction, management and delivery of design inputs to a varied portfolio of projects.
• Identifying and securing new work to support the sustainable growth of the business. This will be through a combination of responding to opportunities through existing frameworks (Homes England, CCS, MOD) but also through the development of opportunities with existing and new client organisations within the region.
• Recruitment, technical direction and staff management of a design team to support the delivery of projects and business development.
• Support to the Planning, Transport and Design business unit senior management team, providing a clear account of current project progress and performance and future opportunities as well as contributing to the overall direction of the business unit.
Skills / Qualifications
With a first degree in architecture, or a closely related design discipline, the successful candidate will require post graduate qualifications in either architecture or urban design. The role will require proven experience in all aspects including business development, project direction and management, project delivery, technical and team leadership, ideally in a design-focused commercial multi-disciplinary environment.
As the role includes building a team and developing new business, the candidate will require demonstrable experience of their ability to manage the multiple facets of the role. The candidate will require excellent communication skills, with proven verbal, written and graphic expertise, enabling them to engage effectively with co-workers, project stakeholders and clients.
Full driving license required.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.