about 1 year ago
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for a talented and experienced Turbo-Machinery Engineer to join a New Category within our HQ based in Wiltshire.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 1,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Our design engineering team is the idea factory of Dyson. It’s where we took the bag out of the vacuum. The blades out of a fan. And the heat out of hand dryers. With free-flowing curiosity and creativity, ideas are never in short supply. The key is deciding which ones could change the world and which should, for now, be shelved. This is done by the New Product Innovation team, who pass on the best ideas to New Product Development. Sketching, prototyping, testing, failing and refining follow. It can take months, even years. But those ideas that make it are big – the kind that transform markets.
* Bring and share your turbo-machinery expertise with design engineers and lead the development of our next generation of advanced low noise, high efficiency compressor units.
* Scope and deliver product focused technology projects to fuel the product vision.
* Conduct detailed theoretical analysis of these technologies.
* Design and build prototypes of chosen technologies.
* Identify experimental test programmes to evaluate technologies.
* Analyse test results, summarise findings and communicate these to other members of RDD including senior managers and directors.
* Present concepts to James Dyson and the Exec. team, when required.
A first degree or Masters in Aeronautical or Mechanical Engineering or equivalent (other relevant engineering disciplines will be considered).
* A proven experience in designing a turbo-machinery aerodynamic system for both performance and acoustic.
* Fundamental knowledge of thermodynamics and fluid dynamics.
* Good understanding of compressor noise sources (blade self-noise, inlet flow conditions, installation effects).
* Good understanding of manufacturing constraints.
* Good understanding of experimental techniques, focusing on pressure, temperature and flow measurement.
* CAE tools – Experience using ANSYS/Fluent/CFX and Concepts NREC would be a distinct advantage.
* CAA tools – Experience of computational aero-acoustics (LES / LBM) is an advantage.
* Good working knowledge of LabView, MATLAB and Python.
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.