6 months ago
About the Role
Think bigger scale. Think higher profile. Think groundbreaking. Join WSP, and you’ll be at the heart of a team of international experts all dedicated to growing and sharing their expertise, and working on projects that transform society for all of us.
The Transport Planning team in Cambridge is one of the most respected transport planning teams in the Golden Triangle (Cambridge-Oxford-Milton Keynes-London). We provide transport planning and design advice on a wide range of projects in the private and public sectors.
Most of our projects are located in the Cambridge-Milton Keynes-Oxford growth arc, but we also work on projects throughout the UK. These range from development planning of small residential schemes to large urban extensions, new towns, schools, mixed-use schemes and business parks. We also have the size and capability to deliver transport planning and design services for our local and national public sector clients largest and most high-profile infrastructure projects helping to deliver strategic and nationally significant infrastructure.
We are looking to recruit an enthusiastic Transport Planner to join the established and highly experienced transport planning team in Cambridge. The candidate will have relevant work experience, a proven ability to deliver to a high standard, passion to share their knowledge and a desire to learn and contribute to the ongoing success of our team.
Working as part of an integrated team of engineers and planners you will be responsible for providing advice to a broad range of private and public sector clients on access, transportation and infrastructure issues and supporting development and infrastructure proposals through the planning process. You can expect to be active on a number of projects and client accounts at any given time. These can vary in both scale and nature, making the workload diverse and challenging.
A typical week would include:
* Working on a mix of private and public sector projects to support and inform the development of policies, strategies and planning applications for a range of development sites or infrastructure proposals.
* Assisting with scoping of client requirements for Transport Planning projects, and specification of related multi-disciplinary tasks
* Skills transfer to junior team members
* Reviewing technical delivery and liaising with local highway authorities to achieve desired client outcomes
* Contributing to our process of continuous improvement and knowledge sharing relating to Transport Planning across our national transport planning business
* Fostering client relationships and identifying work winning opportunities
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
* A degree (or equivalent) in a numerate, transport or related discipline
* Experience in transport policy, strategy development, preliminary highway / junction design and analysis, traffic modelling software and traffic assessment techniques;
* The ability to work at both strategic and detailed levels is highly desirable Up to date knowledge on latest transport policies and legislations, Highways England and local authority design standards and planning processes applicable to the UK.
* Proven project management experience, with the ability to deliver client satisfaction and commercial success
* Strong written and verbal communication skills and be comfortable working both as part of a team or individually.
* In-depth experience in delivering transport assessments and statements and associated documents in support of planning applications
* Experience of public sector transport strategy, infrastructure planning and appraisal and the principles of business case development is also advantageous
* Transport related MSc
* Chartered status or actively working towards securing chartered or an equivalent status. Experience of working on a range of public and private sector transport policy, strategy, and assessment projects at a range of spatial scales
* Experience in stakeholder management and public consultation is highly desirable.
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and WiL (Women in Leadership) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
A little about us:
Together, our people make up one of the world's leading engineering professional services consulting firms. We’re dedicated to the communities where we live and work in the UK and propelled by international brainpower. Staying curious is what drives us. Looking at challenges from fresh angles helps us deliver future-ready solutions that break paradigms.
With around 7,900 talented people in 70+ offices across the UK, and 43,000 around the world, we engineer projects that will help societies grow for lifetimes to come.