about 1 year ago
About the Role
As one of the world’s leading engineering, professional services and technical consultancy firms, at WSP, we’re passionate about the big questions. And big answers, naturally. For us that’s all about reaching beyond the expected to do work that’ll make a profound impact felt long into the future.
The position of Traffic Design Engineer is required to support the various aspects of highway design carried out by the Traffic Engineering Team in Northamptonshire. You will be required to produce solutions to traffic engineering and road safety problems. You will be responsible for scheme delivery and will be expected to work on a range of projects at any given time.
You will be expected to be able to demonstrate that you have considerable experience of delivering the core functions of Traffic and Highway Design, have the ability to lead on scheme design and have the appropriate qualifications, skills and knowledge.
A typical week would include:
* Plan, develop and implement Traffic Engineering schemes to specification, budget and agreed targets while liaising with project teams and clients
* Develop and produce detailed AutoCad drawings
* Preparation of Bills of Quantities, Inspection and Test Plans and suitable scheme Pre Construction information.
* Project management and financial management experience (Prince 2 preferred)
* Ensuring technical designs are delivered with minimal supervision in accordance with approved design procedures and systems.
* Legislation, regulations, policies, strategies and technical guidance are interpreted and communicated across the team as appropriate and cases for any departures are authorised and presented for approval.
* Preparation of Engineering reports and Feasibility Studies
* Good Working knowledge of H&S including CDM 2015
* Drafting Traffic Regulation orders and Public Notices
* Substantial experience in the design of highway engineering projects
* Sign Design using Keysign Software and a good working knowledge of the Traffic Signs Regulation and General Directions and associated chapters.
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
* A HNC/HND or equivalent in Civil Engineering with experience in Traffic Engineering and Highway design.
* Hold or working towards Professional Status with the CIHT or ICE
* CSCS Card – Manager Level
* Sector 12D Traffic Management Card Holder
* IOSH – Managing Safety Certificate (Preferred)
* SMSTS (Preferred)
You will have a full understanding of traffic/highway design principles and have the ability to produce drawings in AutoCAD, together with use of Keysign, Keyline and AutoTrack software.
Also, you will need to have the following general skills:
* ‘People skills’ experience in people management
* Ability to work under pressure
* A good communicator
* A good organiser, both of self and others with the ability to think in advance
* Self-motivated and able to motivate others
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and WiL (Women in Leadership) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
A little about us:
WSP is one of the world's leading engineering professional services firms providing technical consultancy to the built and natural environment. We believe that for societies to thrive, we must all hold ourselves accountable for tomorrow. For us, that means creating innovative solutions to the challenges the future will bring to the communities and environments where we live and work across the UK.
We are locally dedicated and propelled by international brainpower. We are technical experts and strategic advisors, including engineers, technicians, scientists, architects, planners, surveyors and environmental specialists, as well as other design, programme and construction management professionals. Our experts design lasting solutions in the property & buildings, transportation & infrastructure, environment, industry, resources (including mining, and oil & gas) and power & energy sectors as well as project delivery and strategic consulting services. And safety and sustainability are embedded in everything that we do.
Check out for more info about the great work we do.