9 months ago
Thermal Engineer - Motors
Through development and investment in new and exciting technologies Dyson is expanding into new and varied product categories. To facilitate the development of a new and exciting product opportunity we are broadening our expertise, growing our Engineering teams in both size and capability. We are currently recruiting a team of analytical specialists to work in the engineering team to support the generation and validation of design concepts to realise into robustly engineered production solutions. The Thermal Engineer will be involved in the full range of thermal analysis, test and development activities from initial product concept stage and be responsible for providing analytical oversight of key areas of the thermal management solution for a new product; working with the product engineering team to advise on ‘best practise’ from past experience, helping develop and validate new concepts, generate and run analysis to support product development through to production. This includes integrating with the product team in an environment that promotes autonomy and initiative, requiring a flexible attitude with a desire to deliver quality, robust and innovative solutions and presenting to senior management to help guide development of the product.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 1,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Our design engineering team is the idea factory of Dyson. It’s where we took the bag out of the vacuum. The blades out of a fan. And the heat out of hand dryers. With free-flowing curiosity and creativity, ideas are never in short supply. The key is deciding which ones could change the world and which should, for now, be shelved. This is done by the New Product Innovation team, who pass on the best ideas to New Product Development. Sketching, prototyping, testing, failing and refining follow. It can take months, even years. But those ideas that make it are big – the kind that transform.
Support motor design and development with numerical approaches, model analysis and testing of specific areas of the motor thermal solution.
* Utilise experience of motor magnetic principles to optimise the thermal solution for the electric motor without unduly compromising motor performance.
* Provide design advice and guidance to Design Managers and Engineers, taking on a role of responsibility for the assigned area from early concept stage.
* Generate innovative concepts for new technologies using analytical techniques.
* Conduct detailed testing and theoretical analysis of concepts to increase understanding and insight within the team.
* Develop test methodology and procedures with support of test team using current facilities and help to define and specify further equipment requirements.
* Liaise with the test team to plan and perform experimental validations, comparing post-processed results with simulations and make informed design recommendations.
* Generation of proposals and reports.
What You Will Need:
* An excellent/Master’s degree in Thermodynamics, Fluid Dynamics, Mechanical Engineering or equivalent with focus on thermal aspects desirable (other relevant engineering disciplines will be considered).
* Experience of Electric Motor Thermal analysis, development and test.Excellent fundamental understanding of thermodynamics and fluid dynamics principles.
* Experience with the fundamentals of magnetic design optimisation for electrical motors.
* Proven experience modelling thermal system interactions using simulation packages (1D system modelling, ANSYS FEA and CFD or similar, Excel/VB).
* Ability to work within a cross-functional team and take a guiding role relating to thermal solutions development and problem solving to ensure delivery of robust production capable solutions.
* Ability to communicate complex technical issues in an appropriate, concise and accurate fashion, both in writing and verbally.
* Be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often high-pressure, competitive environment.
* Self-starter - ability to work independently and take on new challenges readily.
* Excellent team-working skills.
* A good working knowledge of MS Office.
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.