about 1 month ago
Location: Belfast, United Kingdom
Thales people architect solutions that are relied upon to deliver operational advantage at every decisive moment throughout the mission. Defence and armed forces customers rely on us to deliver the full range of defensive systems for land, sea, and air. From early warning, to threat neutralisation, our platforms cover all levels from very short-range systems, to extended protection across the entire battle-space including Airspace Mobility Solutions, Vehicles and Tactical Systems and Missile Defence, Optronics, and Radar.
Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space. Your health and well-being matters to us and that’s why we offer you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
Primary Purpose of the Role:
Thales Belfast in collaboration with Thales Alenia Space is developing and manufacturing Satellites and subsystems for Space programmes. An opportunity has arisen within our Test Systems Engineering group, working on the design and development of innovative technical solutions that meet customer requirements and business needs. The successful candidate will work as part of the Test Systems Engineering team on Thales Belfast’s Space programme. Under the guidance of the Test Systems work package manager, the successful candidate will carry out the various Test Systems design/ development/ support tasks appropriate to the lifecycle phase of the product in order to deliver test solutions related to Satellite and sub system Product Acceptance.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
* Technical lead for Work Pack activities related to Pressure and Electrical Test Equipment (PGSE/EGSE), providing support to planning and review of Work Pack.
* Develop test plans in conjunction with Engineering Designers.
* Ensure Testability requirements are satisfied.
* Ensure Customer Test Specifications are understood and that requirements are satisfied
* Interpret Test requirements from Systems Architecture, and Design data
* Design of Pressure and Electrical Test Equipment (PGSE/EGSE) and delivery of associated data packs including schematic capture, cable drawings, and General Assembly drawings.
* Conducting aspects of test solution development in accordance with company processes and standards.
* Management of subcontractors in delivery of Test Hardware, including acceptance test of equipment.
* Produce and/or up-issue test documentation for use during Production Acceptance Test and proving of Test Equipment.
* Support formal introduction of Test Hardware to Factory, and support to operations during early Production ramp of Product Acceptance Test including fault diagnosis and repair.
* Represent the company at meetings and presentations to customers, suppliers and sub-contractors.
* Participate in and contribute to company continuous improvement projects when required.
* Provide support to Design and Operations during Test campaigns including Pressure Testing of Satellite and Propulsion Systems
* Appreciation of test requirements analysis, specification & design
* Demonstrable skills in hardware design of Pressure Test equipment including component selection.
* Design capture in Visio (or equivalent)
* Writing of detailed Test procedures.
* Proficiency in use of PLM tool for product lifecycle management
* Experience in performing acceptance testing during Qualification and Acceptance test of product,
* Experience of development of Test solutions related to Space programme
* Knowledge of hardware development lifecycles and methodologies
* Demonstrable skills in electrical hardware design of Test equipment including component selection, design capture in Visio (or equivalent) for Test harness, Test Box, and Test interfaces associated with Test Rack equipment
* Analogue and digital design of Test hardware
* Ability to communicate effectively
* Self motivated, innovative and willing to exercise initiative
* Able to overcome barriers and make things happen
* Team member working to team goals
* Flexible, some international travel will be required, and outside of normal business hours working during Test campaigns.
* Ability to work within a team under pressure
* Will have demonstrated a high degree of technical expertise, problem solving skills, innovation and commitment
* Experience in Configuration Management, Change Control and Requirements Management
* Good understanding of current trends in test development engineering and technologies.
* BSc/BEng (Hons) degree in an engineering degree with 2:1, an HND in an engineering or equivalent experience
In line with Thales' Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 80,000 employees in 68 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!