2 months ago
Test Equipment Design Engineer (Electro-Mechanical)
Role Title: Test Equipment Design Engineer (Electro-Mechanical)
Job Ref No: P8206S
Reports to: Mechanical Design Group Leader Test Engineering
Salary: Competitive + Bonus + Excellent Benefits
Part-Time Working considered
An opportunity has arisen for a Test Equipment Engineer (Electro-Mechanical) with drive and enthusiasm to join Europe’s number one missile system provider, developing and designing Test Equipment solutions for the next generation of weapons.
* Tasked with the design of mechanical fixtures, jigs and electronics enclosures in support of the System/Hardware Design Teams. Making engineering decisions within the delegated remit and acting as a design authority as appropriate.
* Expected to take the lead in evaluating the technical issues involved in a project and developing suitable proposals. Taking these proposals forward with detailed analyses, investigations and concise conclusions.
* Responsible for preparing specifications and bids, developing designs, carrying out design appraisals and recording and publishing designs in the company database.
* Taking an active role in maintaining and modifying relevant engineering processes and procedures. Also working closely with managers to develop team improvements.
* Managing projects, planning and controlling multiple work packages simultaneously, handling personal priorities and using diplomacy and dexterity to manage stakeholders expectations.
* Creating drawing packages to ISO 2768, utilising Datum Systems and carrying out tolerance studies as required.
* Working across multiple projects and developing solutions for products at differing stages of maturity including prototyping, production and end-user equipment.
* Skilled in reviewing existing or newly manufactured hardware to fault-find and de-bug. Refining the results to feed back in to the design process.
* Excellent communication skills are required to create and maintain working relationships with multi-disciplinary teams and national/international colleagues. Acting as a main point of contact for customers (internal) and suppliers.
* Keeping up-to-date with relevant technical knowledge, identifying personal or team skill gaps, developing capabilities and approaching challenges with an innovative and logical methodology.
* Offer support and guidance to junior team members and apprentices.
What’s in it for you?
* Working on unique and challenging engineering problems at the cutting edge of the industry.
* Individually tailored skills development program in both on-the-job training and specialised courses.
* Personal career development plan including structured progression strategy and professional accreditation.
* Opportunity to work on multi-national projects with some opportunity for national/international travel.
* Exposure to multiple project teams and company departments, offering a fast-track overview of large sections of the business.
* Position seated within the international Centre Of Excellence (CofEx) for Test Equipment.
What’s great about the team?
* Opportunity to work on a diverse range of novel and world class products. In groundbreaking fields, often using the latest technologies.
* We are a small but dynamic team. Working closely together, enthusiastically supporting each other with an open and frequent dialogue.
* The team is approached regularly to inform on early stage developments, manufacturability and concept efficacy. Allowing a more holistic view of the projects.
* The company’s culture encourages knowledge sharing with people from all sections of the business happy to take time to share experience and historic background.
What are we looking for?
* Significant practical experience in Mechanical/Electro Mechanical Design and Development with an understanding of machined, cast and sheet metal parts, 3D printing and electronic packaging design.
* An ability to work from first principles or to pick up legacy work and adapt it accordingly. Demonstrating a creative yet analytical approach to problem solving.
* Good level of experience in the phases of the engineering life cycle.
* Able to work independently to support various types of engineering problems and help guide the Project Teams to a suitable conclusion.
* Capable of managing multiple projects simultaneously and assisting less experienced members of the team to prioritise effectively.
* A suitable engineering degree or equivalent vocational qualification and/or experience.
* Relevant 3D CAD/CAE (ProEngineer / CREO / Windchill) experience. (Other CAD Packages such as Solidworks / Solidedge will be considered).
* Possession of excellent communication skills and the capability to tailor language appropriately to suit the intended audience.
* You will have a willing, helpful attitude and a calm professional manner, able to set priorities and deal with multiple issues, de-escalating potential conflicts as necessary.
* An understanding of Manufacturing processes, design for EMC , Connectors to BS & military specifications, Tolerance studies, Environmental test, Thermal management design, Material selection, PCB/Flexi manufacture, Standard electronic components.
* An understanding of commercial and financial impacts to the work and the business strategies that may be influencing the approach to a particular project.
What would you get?
*Flexible working *opportunities for career progression *paid overtime (subject to level) *great bonus scheme *comprehensive pension scheme *annual salary review *fantastic working environment and site facilities *social, charitable and sporting activities.
MBDA is an award winning company; committed to providing an inclusive working environment where our employees can be themselves and everyone has equal opportunity to reach their full potential. We value difference and know that a diverse community makes for greater innovation and brings a breadth of skills, experience and perspectives.
We welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements. MBDA is a proud member of Working Families – the UK’s work-life balance organisation.
Follow MBDA on LinkedIn and Twitter.
Please Note: MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve the appropriate clearance relevant to the role.