5 months ago
Temporary Works Manager
Job number: UK13982
Company/Division: Construction Services UK
Career area: Design Engineering
UK, London, London
About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Temporary Works Manager to join our BB Kilpatrick team to work in London.
* To deliver high quality temporary works within the Delivery Unit;
* To manage the technical services team within the Delivery Unit to deliver technical support within the Delivery Unit during the tender and delivery process;
* To knowledge share across centres of excellence and the wider Balfour Beatty Group to deliver high quality technical services.
What you'll be doing
As, Temporary Works Manager, you will be responsible for the following:-
* Managing the allocated budget and resourcing for temporary works, ensuring effective and efficient delivery of service on allocated projects;
* Providing expert technical support in temporary works design and management, including overseeing/reviewing the actual construction of temporary works whenever required;
* Ensuring procedures and quality systems are applied on projects;
* Providing a temporary works design service to tenders and project delivery;
* Maintaining register of appointed persons;
* Carrying out internal temporary works training to meet latest standards/ updates;
* Ensuring design risks are considered and prepares Designers Risk Assessment, and communicates residual design risks as appropriate;
* Providing technical support to tenders and supports the value engineering of temporary works and identifying of appropriate solutions;
* Supporting temporary works assurance on projects through conducting audits and regular meetings with project teams, identifying best practice, areas for improvement and areas of concern;
* Developing and maintaining relationships with relevant technical consultants and suppliers, managing their input in the design, development, pricing and delivery of technical solutions on site and in tenders;
* Providing technical support and attending internal work winning meetings.
Who we're looking for
The following qualities/experience are essential:
* Professional qualification, i.e. Chartered Structural/ Civil Engineering;
* CSCS card;
* BIM knowledge;
* Thorough knowledge of temporary works design, engineering and industry best practice;
* Knowledge of the principles of framework procurement and experience within the most current forms of procurement;
* Previous experience of leading technical aspects of work winning bids in a timely manner;
* Able to lead and manage teams effectively, delivering technical expertise to tender and project teams;
* Strong numeracy capability;
* Strong skills in Microsoft Office software, especially Excel;
* Good report writing skill;
* Able to pay attention to detail and will see tasks through to completion;
* A team player with good interpersonal and influencing skills;
* A self-starter who can manage their own time and proactively seeks and executes activities that will add value to their function;
* Innovative and seeks continuously to improve knowledge and services.
The following qualities/experience are desirable:
* Knowledge of the construction industry or experience within a project based organisation;
* Previous experience within Technical services, with knowledge of design, planning, engineering and proposals.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
We deliver flexible civil engineering and construction services from regional hubs and UK-wide local delivery units, aligned to chosen sectors.
Responsible for close to GBP2 billion of turnover annually, our teams deliver regional and national framework contracts, new builds, refurbishment and fit out across a number of core markets.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.