8 months ago
Technical Safety Engineer (contract)
Requisition ID :2019-62145
Work Location :GB-Durham-Darlington
Department / Discipline : Process
Position Type : Agency / Contract
Market / Sector (Candidate Portal Searching)
Oil & Gas
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is currently recruiting for contractors to provide Senior Technical Safety (Process Safety) Engineering services to our Downstream business in Darlington, UK. The scope of work will last 5 months.
The Downstream business provides services to brownfield and greenfield projects across multiple sectors including Oil & Gas, refining, petrochemicals, bulk and fine chemicals and pharma. Wood Darlington also provides support in specialist areas such as Hydrogen, CCS and new technology. Our Technical Safety team also provide specialist support to others parts of the business including consultancy services and provision of independent safety review co-ordinators and chair persons.
Providing support to multidisciplinary engineers and designers to ensure effective safety and environmental practices are observed and risk management processes observed. This includes providing support under the CDM regulations in the UK.
Scope of services to be provided:
* Produce engineering deliverables of Technical Safety discipline required for Project execution.
* Assist Project Management to assess risks quantitatively, while making major engineering decisions.
* Develop safety engineering philosophies, safety specifications, equipment specifications and monitor contractor/vendor compliance to these.
* Propose engineering solutions to safety issues on offshore installations or within engineering design to improve safety.
* Conduct safety assessments like Hazard Identification Studies (‘HAZID’), Hazard and Operability Study (‘HAZOP’) and Construction Risk Assessment.
* Coordinate external specialist consultants’ safety studies and specialist services
* Support to projects on regulation requirements including COMAH, DSEAR, PSR and CDM regulation requirements
* Carryout active and passive fire protection assessments including, but not limited to, fire protection philosophies, fire water demand schedules, fire water adequacy checks, hydraulic calculations using PIPENET spray/sprinkler module and fire water system adequacy checks and performance monitoring.
* Provide services including QRA, EERA, dispersion modelling, thermal radiation modelling and functional safety.
* Providing sound technical advice and solutions to a diversity of technical problems within the discipline
* Providing technical support to site as required
* Producing and reviewing specifications, data sheets, schedules, study reports, and design calculations; ensuring that they conform to engineering quality, competence, and project management systems
* Attend client meetings and communicate issues with lead engineer as required
* Adhere to and comply with relevant discipline specific procedures and provide feedback for continuous improvement
* Ensure awareness of relevant regulatory framework, legislation changes, initiatives and industry technology developments
* Thorough knowledge and understanding of the fundamentals of process safety and environmental engineering methodologies, software systems, and design practices as they relate to FEED, Detail Design, Construction, Commissioning, and plant Start-up
* Provision of guidance and support on appropriate safety and environmental engineering
* Awareness of international codes and standards
Skills / Qualifications
Qualifications, Skills and Competencies
* Engineering degree in a relevant subject such as Chemical or Mechanical Engineering
* Relevant work experience, refining and petrochemical experience would be an advantage
* Chartered Engineer
* Post-graduate qualification in process saftey related subjects are desired, but not essential
* Awareness of process operations and/or brownfield modifications
* Knowledge of PIPENET, DNV PHAST, PHA Pro is desired but not essential
* Awareness of environmental, Physical Hazard Effects (PHE) modelling and QRA is preferred but not essential
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.