10 months ago
Technical Director – Tunnels & Underground Structures, London
Since 1930, COWI has pushed the boundaries of design through our involvement on major infrastructure projects worldwide. As part of COWI's Bridge, Tunnel and Marine Structures (BTM) business line, we manage our projects from offices located in the UK, Scandinavia, Germany, Middle East, India, SE Asia and North America.
With a full set of world-class competencies within tunnelling and infrastructure engineering, combined with local presence and experience, our talented and dedicated professionals are ready to take on the most complex projects anywhere in the world – no matter how large or small.
In the UK, COWI UK's specialist tunnelling business have in-depth experience in civil, structural, geotechnical engineering and M&E including the development of underground space and infrastructure. We offer a dynamic work environment where multi-cultural teams from all over the world strive for the best results; we are recognised as a centre of excellence for quality, innovation and are the client’s first choice. Our philosophy of getting it ‘right first time’ in tandem with producing alternative designs to ensure safe, economic and sustainable solutions has firmly established COWI as a leader in its field.
This is a superb opportunity for an experienced and career minded technical professional to join our established tunnelling and underground structures team and to work on some of the UK's most complex and challenging projects.
COWI UK acknowledges our employees are our most valuable asset. We recruit the best people, retain, and engage our employees through interesting and challenging projects, sharing knowledge and expertise and being part of the COWI team.
Requirements: knowledge, personal skills and experience required:
* You will have MSc / MEng in civil or structural engineering
* You will be a chartered civil or structural engineer (CENG, MICE. MIStructE)
* You will possess extensive experience of working within a consulting environment ideally on tunnelling or underground structures projects, although serious consideration with be given to candidates who possess significant experience on heavy civil structures projects
* You will have high level technical skills and experience of soil / structure interaction
* You will be an accomplished team leader with the ability to support, mentor and develop less experienced engineers with a demonstrable record of building and developing a team of civil/structural engineers and experience of assisting engineers through chartered status and guiding them towards becoming recognised industry experts
* Sound understanding of CDM Regulations, risk assessment process and be familiar with either UK standards or equivalent European or Euro Codes
* You will have proven business development and client relationship building skills, will be able to lead technical input for bids and tenders
* You will have excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively at all levels
As the Technical Director, you will have ultimate responsibility for the technical delivery on projects assigned to you including business development, bids / tenders, client liaison and leading a team of engineers and technicians. You will act as the leader for all technical elements, giving advice to the client and their representatives whilst also overseeing, reviewing and approving designs and monitoring progress.
Duties & Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
* Leadership and management of the team of engineers and technicians
* Manage and co-ordinate projects from feasibility to detailed design and site supervision where required
* Oversee development of conceptual designs
* Development of projects control and monitoring of progress against programmes
* Ensuring that design, assessments and checking of designs are in accordance with the current Line Standards and Codes of Practice
* Approval of designs, assessments and calculations in accordance with quality procedures
* Oversee preparation of safety plans
* Manage coordination of work undertaken by external sub-contractors and design checkers
* Liaison with clients
* Mentoring, building and developing a team of civil/structural engineers, assisting them through chartered status and giving guidance to them so they become recognised industry experts
* Maximise business development opportunities where possible
* Preparation of bids and tenders when required
Remuneration & Benefits
COWI UK Limited is an equal opportunities employer and believe in rewarding our staff for their commitment and hard work. You will therefore receive a basic salary that will match your skills and experience, coupled with:
28 days holiday plus bank and public holidays
Private health care scheme
Life assurance (4 x salary)
Pension scheme with generous employer contribution
Cycle to work scheme
Flexible working arrangements (details available on request)
Long service award of extra pension contributions paid for by the Company and one extra holiday day after 5 years of service
Employee ownership through COWI share programme
How to Apply:
Applying could not be easier, just click the link and follow the simple steps to upload your CV.