about 1 month ago
Career Opportunities: Technical Director - Highways, for COWI in the UK (34101)
Req ID 34101 - Posted 15/09/2020 - United Kingdom - Infrastructure - Posting Location (2)
Job Description Print Preview
Email Job to Friend
Return to List
Do you want to join one of the UK's leading design consultancies Can you add to our success, whilst also developing your career and reputation Are you a Chartered Structural or Civil Engineer (CEng) Then join us in designing the future.
JOIN OUR COWI INTERNATIONAL TEAM IN BRISTOL OR DERBY
With over 93 offices worldwide, COWI is a leading international consulting group providing clients with innovative and sustainable solutions to complex challenges within transportation, energy, environment, water, industry, buildings and planning. Together with our over 6,500 dedicated professionals, COWI pushes the boundaries of engineering design around the globe.
As a member of the UK team, you will support local and international projects across the transportation and energy sectors, including railways, highways, metros, marine, wind, hydro, and more.
You will be joined by hundreds of skilled experts, collaborating over the entire lifecycle of a project – from idea, concept and design, to operation and maintenance within our portfolio of tunnels & underground structures, bridges, complex structures, ground engineering and reclamation projects.
DESIGN THE FUTURE WITH A GLOBAL TEAM OF EXPERTS
In this position, you will join our global team of experts and work closely with the Bristol or Derby engineering team. You will report to the Executive Director/Regional Director. You will be responsible for technical deliverables, quality, project and contributing to the leadership, management and development of COWI UK's Highways Team
On a day-to-day basis, you will be responsible for:
* Leadership and management of the Highways team of engineers and technicians
* Working closely with the existing Infrastructure Team to develop a combined Infrastructure and Highways design capability in the UK.
* Custodianship of technical expertise within COWI UK in Highway design
* Managing and co-ordinate projects from feasibility to detailed design and site supervision where required
* Overseeing development of conceptual designs
* Development of project controls and monitoring of progress against programme
* Ensuring that design, assessments and checking of designs are in accordance with the current Standards and Codes of Practice
* Approval of designs, assessments and calculations in accordance with quality procedures
* Overseeing preparation of safety plans
* Managing coordination of work undertaken by external sub-contractors and design checkers
* Liaison with clients
* Mentoring of less experienced staff as required
* Maximising business development opportunities wherever possible
* Preparation of bids and tenders when required
* Attending client meetings and build relationships with clients and other stakeholders.
* Visiting sites and COWI offices (including JV design hubs) as required.
COWI is a leader within its field, because our employees are leaders within theirs. We invite you to learn from the best and expand your potential in an outstanding environment, where we collaborate on shaping tomorrow's societies. Alongside your manager, you outline the path for your development and build your expertise on a day-to-day basis, working on global and local assignments.
YOUR SKILLS. OUR TEAM. TOGETHER, WE DESIGN THE FUTURE
Your skills are the key to our success. Working across borders and disciplines, we share knowledge and build strong relationships with colleagues and customers. You contribute your expertise and get to learn from the best.
To succeed in this position, we believe that you should have excellent communication and rapport building skills.
Furthermore, you shall:
* Be a Chartered Engineer with a relevant Institution (e.g. MICE, MIHT)
* Have demonstrable relevant UK highway design experience
* Have a high level of technical skills appropriate to the discipline. You must have in-depth knowledge and experience of the Manual of Contract Documents for Highway Works and Design Manual for Roads and Bridges
* Have experience of major highway works on the UK trunk road network
* Have a sound understanding and experience in the application of the CDM Regulations
* Be familiar with the UK standards
* Have excellent communication skills
* Be computer literate. Knowledge of Autodesk Civil 3D would be beneficial
* Be an experienced Project Manager
* Be experienced in managing and developing teams
DO YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS
Please call our Talent Acquisition Manager, David Haynes on tel. +
HOW TO APPLY
Click on the link below and tell us why you are the right person for this role. We look forward to receiving your application as soon as possible since the recruitment process is ongoing. The application deadline is stated at the top of the page.
COWI provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, COWI complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Email Job to Friend
Return to List
Email this job to a friend
The job has been sent to
Please provide the information below
*Your email address:
*Your friend’s email address:
*Confirm you are not a robot:
Powered by SuccessFactors