6 months ago
Technical Director/Geotechnical Engineering, Maidstone, UK
Office Location: Maidstone
Salary: Competitive basic salary, comprehensive benefits
Discipline team: Geotechnical Engineering
SLR is an international environmental consultancy with almost 1000 employees working from over 60 offices in the Europe, North America, Australasia, and Africa. We are currently working actively to grow and develop our business and to enhance the technical service we offer to our existing Clients. To that end we are looking to make a strategic appointment of a Technical Director to assume a senior leadership role among our existing UK based team of geotechnical professionals.
Candidates should have a recognised academic qualification in geotechnical engineering or engineering geology, although not exclusively in engineering consultancy, and ideally in environmental consultancy.
This position provides an exciting opportunity to join a diverse team of earth science specialists, comprising geotechnical engineers, geologists, hydrogeologists and land quality specialists in a leading multinational consultancy and to take an active role in the future growth and development of our business in the built environment, mining and minerals, industry and power sectors. The appointee will be based at one of our existing offices in the South East either Maidstone, London or Bristol.
Along with a competitive basic salary, the successful candidate will receive a comprehensive benefits package including a car allowance, BUPA health cover, share options, death-in-service cover and employer pension contributions.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The successful candidate will be responsible for technical and administrative leadership of SLR’s geotechnical team in the UK. Typical duties will include:
* Identifying opportunities to provide specialist geotechnical services to new Clients, principally in the built environment, mining and minerals, industry and power sectors and actively working to deliver these opportunities to SLR;
* Building and maintaining new Client relationships;
* Creating greater visibility for SLR within the construction and development sector, through active participation in engineering research programs and/or the activities of professional institutions, government working groups or representative organisations;
* Assisting other Technical Directors, Service Line Managers and Sector Leaders in bidding for and winning multi-disciplinary engineering work from new and existing Clients;
* Working will senior SLR engineering staff to develop regional and global perspectives on geotechnical risks, opportunities and priorities;
* Technical review of engineering reports, drawings and advice provided to Clients;
* Ensuring compliance with recognised engineering standards, technical guidance and associated legislation;
* Keeping abreast of technical innovation and regulatory / legislative change impacting the geotechnical sector, both nationally and internationally and ensuring SLR is well placed to take advantage of such change;
* Managing, resourcing and overall cost control of geotechnical projects undertaken by our UK team; and ensuring timely delivery and completion of projects;
* Mentoring and technical training of junior colleagues;
* Promoting best practice in Health and Safety across the UK geotechnical team and ensuring compliance with established Health and Safety management systems;
Assisting in the development, periodic review and ongoing implementation of quality assurance procedures in respect of geotechnical services and activities (including any specific health and safety protocols).
To fulfil the requirements of this role, candidates are required to have successfully completed a first degree (as a minimum) in Civil or Environmental Engineering, Geology or Engineering Geology, and a second degree in Geotechnical Engineering, Soil Mechanics or a related topic.
Candidates should be a Chartered Member of a relevant professional institution and ideally would also be actively engaged with the activities of that institution.
* Relevant first degree and post graduate qualification (Geotechnical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Engineering Geology, Geology or similar)
* Chartered Member of a professional institution;
* Proven business development capabilities, with an established track record in building and maintaining good working relationships with Clients and in winning consultancy work from a mix of private and/or public sector Clients;
* Proven leadership skills, with past experience in mentoring and leading a team of specialist staff in a consultancy environment and achieving or exceeding financial, project performance and health and safety goals;
Proven experience and technical competence, principally in a consulting environment in the built environment, mining and minerals, industrial and/or power sectors. Recent experience in the environmental consulting sector would be a distinct advantage.
SLR Consulting is an equal opportunities employer. Further details of our Equal Opportunities policy are available upon request.
To apply, please complete the online application form below.
Clicking on the button below will take you to our career application system.