8 months ago
Fundamental to living our core values is having great people in our business. That's why we believe that Amey is only as great as the people we employ. We place great value on our people and the contribution they make to our business, that’s why we aim to offer a competitive benefits package to all of our employees. Working for Amey you will receive a competitive salary and will be able to join our contributory pension scheme. In addition you will be entitled to Company sponsored life assurance and a generous holiday entitlement. You will also be invited to join Amey Choices which offers a range of flexible benefit options and offers additional benefits available throughout the year. Amey is an equal opportunities employer.
What is the purpose of this role?
To provide national technical leadership of a civil engineering examination on Network Rail assets. Develop services to deliver and improve technical excellence.
What will this role involve?
* Ensure that safety is always the priority. Promote safe working practices, ensuring full implementation and compliance with relevant legislation and standards.
* Act as Amey’s technical expert and representative within civil engineering examinations, providing direction, leadership and guidance as appropriate to internal technical teams, operational managers, clients and suppliers.
* Establish and maintain collaborative relationships with the clients’ professional head organisations, in the development and understanding of their technical requirements.
* Provide leadership in the training, mentoring and development of staff to achieve appropriate professional qualifications and career ambitions and providing direction to trainees and operational managers as required.
* Liaise with Professional Heads within Amey.
* Deliver competency management of staff in line with industry best practice.
* Develop and implement a continuous improvement process to promote technical best practice throughout the business.
* Undertake the role of CEM for examination contracts.
* Review new, updated and withdrawn standards related to Structures Examination activities within the business.
* Brief all structures examination staff through line management on new, updated and withdrawn standards related to examination of anything that affects their work (e.g. CDM, project management, etc.)
* Devise and implement a programme of VFLs, technical and safety audits of internal or sub contracted examination activities.
* Lead investigations of incidents and accidents related to examination activities.
* Liaise with senior operational managers to ensure that resource requirements are understood and can be met by the team or external supply chain.
What are we looking for?
Essential Skills, Qualifications and Training:
* Ability to lead, motivate and develop regional engineering teams, delegating responsibility where required and appropriate.
* Have strong communication and inter-personal skills. You will relate well to colleagues, customers and suppliers at all levels.
* Be a self-starter, able to take responsibility and work with minimum supervision, at times under pressure.
* Ability to identify and share engineering best practice within the business.
* Have excellent organisational skills; be able to multitask and re-prioritise to meet changing needs and deadlines.
* Have proven ability to work in a team environment with a dedicated approach to project deadlines.
* Thorough knowledge and understanding of the technical specification and standards for Network Rail Civil examination contracts.
* Demonstrate railway industry experience in structures examination, maintenance or assessment.
* Knowledge and understanding of Health, Safety. Quality and Environmental procedures.
* Commercial awareness.
* Knowledge of Network Rail’s assets and how they are managed.
* Relevant experience of working in a senior engineering role in a railway operating environment.
* Chartered Engineer in Civil or Structural Engineering and member of an appropriate professional body.
* STE2 competent
* Computer literate with full knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
* Full UK Driving Licence.
* Experienced coach and/or mentor.
* Customer Relationship Management.
What makes this role unique?
You will be expected to develop services to deliver and improve technical excellence in accordance with Amey aspirations.