about 1 year ago
Title : Technical Director - Air Quality
Requisition ID :2018-30216
Work Location :GB-Berkshire-Reading
Department / Discipline : Environmental
Additional Work Location : GB-Berkshire-Reading
Position Type : Staff / Permanent
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is currently recruiting for a Technical Director - Air Quality to join the team in London or Reading.
Wood's UK Air Quality team has an enviable track record and an exciting portfolio of contracts and clients. We are currently working on projects in a range of sectors such as transport, aviation, government, conventional, nuclear and renewable energy, mining, general industry and oil and gas in the UK and internationally.
We have been supporting Heathrow Airport in their plans for a third runway for the last 7 years and, following the recent government decision to back the scheme, Wood is just embarking upon a significant ongoing role on the project, including air quality and noise impact assessments. We are also involved in technical assessments to support the Environmental Permitting and DCO Applications for two of the UK’s Nuclear New Build (NNB) projects.
We are currently looking to recruit a high-calibre, experienced individual to join our team and to grow into the Team Leader role within a short period.
The successful candidate will be one who is keen to develop themselves and the team. You will have excellent opportunities to progress by furthering your technical, staff and business management capabilities and to explore the wider interests of our company. With us, you’ll be challenged, you’ll be encouraged and expected to excel, you’ll be given the opportunity to build a rewarding career and you’ll be proud to be part of the Wood team global brand.
You will work with the Air Quality team and colleagues from other disciplines to identify, pursue, win and deliver both large and small consultancy proposals and projects, many of which are multi-disciplinary. Your main responsibilities will include:
* Implementing a clear and cogent development strategy for the air quality team, within an overall E&I Global Strategy;
* Ensuring maintenance and further development of technical and delivery excellence of the air quality team;
* Establishing and delivering annual income targets for the team;
* Acting as Staff Manager for the senior team members and as overall Team Leader for all staff members, together with identification and implementation of technical and other training needs;
* Liaison with other senior staff and Team Leaders within the Environmental Assessment Business Unit and E&I Global;
* Defining and driving business development in the air quality arena, both in the UK and internationally;
* Identifying and delivering product and service development initiatives to open-up innovative areas of work and beneficial partnerships;
Skills / Qualifications
* Minimum upper second degree-level qualification in engineering, science or maths and ideally also a postgraduate qualification in environmental science, technology, engineering or policy. Relevant professional memberships are also essential.
* You will have managed staff and/or a team of individuals and ideally you will have some experience of developing and implementing a strategy to grow a team.
* You will be able to demonstrate a competent background and technical excellence in air quality and environmental consultancy, typically of the order 10-15+ years’ experience in the field.
* You will have worked in large multi-disciplinary teams, delivering air quality assessments as part of EIA/DCO projects;
* You will be a known individual with a growing national reputation as a key air quality professional and, preferably, consultancy experience on the international stage;
* Experience of providing expert evidence at Public Inquiries and/or in legal cases is desirable;
* You will have a firm commitment to customer service excellence and a proven track record of project delivery;
* You will also have demonstrable people and team management skills, together with identification and delivery of training and development needs; and
* You will need to demonstrate experience in project work for both public and private sector clients, together with client account/management skills.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.