2 months ago
QinetiQ Target Systems (QTS) Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary of QinetiQ Group PLC specialising in the design and manufacture of a range of state of the art Unmanned Aerial and Surface Target systems including the world leading Banshee target. QTS targets are used to enable realistic weapons test and evaluation and operator training in over 40 countries worldwide with QTS providing a complete managed service in over 15 of these countries.
Job description/Person specification
We are currently seeking to recruit a either a trainee or a more experienced Technical Author/Writer for our expanding R&D department. As market leaders in the field of airborne and marine target drones this position offers an exciting opportunity to be part of a multitalented design team working on constantly improving and developing the company’s product portfolio.
The role involves:
• Working as part of a small team to support the Technical Publications Manager in the production of a variety of technical documents including; Operator and maintenance manuals, illustrated parts lists and design documentation.
• Assisting mechanical and electronic engineers during the design process, to gain sufficient subject knowledge to be able to develop the associated documentation.
• Working unsupervised, in a hands-on environment, gathering data for the development of the documentation.
• Developing document illustrations using photographs, CAD models and other manufacturer’s literature.
• Carrying out various other administrative tasks assigned to the authoring department
The successful candidate will either have a background in Engineering (technician level) and be looking for a career change into technical authoring/writing or be looking to utilise their Technical Authoring experience gained to date. You will be able to demonstrate mechanical, electronic or avionics technical knowledge, with an understanding of general engineering principles and be able to communicate effectively with your stakeholders.
Experience writing procedures/reports would be advantageous and an eye to detail and aptitude to think “outside the box” is essential.
You will be happy to travel on occasion (including international travel) to support operations and gain subject matter knowledge as required.