6 months ago
We also provide the following additional benefits
* Annual leave 25 days
* Personal Pension Plan – Personal contribution rates of 3%, 4% or 5% (UK Power Networks will make a corresponding contribution of 6%, 8% or 10%)
* Sick leave goes up with length of service.
* Tax efficient benefits: cycle to work scheme, childcare vouchers
* Season ticket loan
* Occupational Health support
* Switched On – scheme providing discount on hundreds of retailers products.
* Supplier discounts, such as O2, EE, Vauxhall cars, Universal tyres
* Discounted access to sports and social clubs
* Employee Assistance Programme.
The Technician role is to ensure effective delivery of all planned construction and operations, inspections and maintenance functions on Airport Sector’s Client infrastructure. The position will incorporate construction, operation and maintenance and is a multi site role. The Technician is responsible for delivery of all aspects of inspections, construction and maintenance activities.
The Maintenance Technicians role is to undertake the construction and maintenance of the UK Power Networks Services owned Client assets or other assets as directed by the Operational Engineer. The technician will be working for the onsite Senior Authorised Person who is responsible for Safety & ensuring that there is no disruption to the electricity supply.
* Construction and Maintenance of the UK Power Networks Services owned assets through the range 33kV to 433v & 400v
* Assist the Operational Engineer in meeting maintenance targets on time and within budget,
* Basic testing of protection systems and devices
* Construction and Maintenance of the Control and Protection Systems
* HV Authorised Person with further possible progression to SAP
* Operate and update Asset database in respect of project activities
* Contribute to fault investigations and repairs as required.
* Competent to carry out planned substation inspections,
* Conversant with manufacturers maintenance regimes,
* Comply with UK Power Networks Services inspection and maintenance policies and procedures (adhere to maintenance job plans),
* Use of the asset management system (currently Ellipse) for recording on-site work undertaken;
* Authorised to operate on the high and low voltage systems and competent to receive safety documentation,
* Competent to supervise contractors,
* Competent in basic workshop fitting skills,
* Carry out reactive and minor construction work for distribution system up keep,
* Maintain records of all completed operations, inspections and maintenance; test sheets and safety documentation,
* Undertake additional activities commensurate with the job level and competency
* Assist the Operational Engineer in maintaining the very best in client relationships,
* Adhere to the requirements detailed in Method Statements and Risk Assessments,
* Embrace “Stay Safe” and “IPR” content,
* Competent to write and adhere to the requirements detailed in Method Statements and Risk Assessments,
* Compliance with UK Power Networks Services Policies and Procedures covering all matters related to Health, Safety, Quality and the Environment,
* Identifying and reporting of hazards and rectifying where necessary,
* Relevant Safety Qualification such as IOSH
* Comply with UK Power Networks Services purchasing policies and procedures,
* Timely and accurate completion of timesheets and relevant expenses claims,
* Self-motivated and able to work with the minimum of supervision.
* Attend and contribute to team briefings, meetings and committees as required,
* To carry out any duties commensurate to your grade and competency such as switchgear, transformer and battery maintenance, substations inspection and cleaning.
* Subject to the correct competencies Carry out LV fault locations and termination and jointing of LV cables.
* Provide supervision of contractors and personnel when necessary and competent to do so.
* Carry out substation inspections as required to meet the maintenance standards
* Ensure All substation compounds are kept clean tidy and free from vegetation
Nature and Scope
* The jobholder will be a key member of the Gatwick Airport Sector’s team and must be able to work closely with departmental management.
* The post holder will in most cases report to the Lead Operational Engineer and be responsible for the delivery of the scheduled operations, inspections and maintenance work.
* The jobholder will be principally accountable for ensuring that all operations, inspections and maintenance activities are completed on time, together with addressing reactive (unplanned) and outstanding work that has been deferred due to operational or customer reasons.
* The jobholder principal challenge is to ensure that all operation, inspections and maintenance activities are delivered as necessary in conjunction with the required inspection and maintenance plan each year.
* Provide integral support within the team as necessary. Attend and contribute to team briefings, meetings and committees as required.
Skills, Qualifications and Experience
The job requires an individual with;
* Experience in Operational Construction and Maintenance work planning.
* Traceable work history.
* Criminal Record Check.
* Ability to obtain a Client Infrastructure Security Passes as required.
* Medical & Drugs and Alcohol screening
* Full drivers licence.
* As a minimum a Competent Person ideally working towards Authorised Person status to switch on high and low voltage systems and to issue Limitations-of-Access
* Operational understanding systems through the range 33kV to 433v & 400v.
* Experience of undertaking routine inspection and maintenance activities.
* Use of the Asset Management System (currently Ellipse ‘FDCS’).
* Fit and willing to be trained to work in confined spaces if required.
* Either PASMA certified or able and willing to be trained for prefabricated scaffold erection
* Compliance with UK Power Networks Services O&M Policies and Procedures relating to Health, Safety, Quality and the Environment.
* Adhere to the requirements detailed in Method Statements and Risk Assessments.
* Identifying and reporting of hazards and rectifying where necessary.
* The individual will need to be self-motivated and able to work independently with flexibility and an adaptable approach to problem solving is essential.
* Competent to undertake maintenance and construction activities on a range of LV equipment including street lighting furniture and distribution equipment
* A pro active approach to carrying out a range of activities including cleaning of substations and any other duties required by the lead operational engineer.
* Based at Gatwick Airport, but will be required to work in any UK Power Networks services Locations.
Health & Safety Responsibilities
Managers and supervisors carry both legal and company responsibilities for ensuring the health and safety of their employees, those under their control and those who might be affected by the work undertaken, i.e. public, visitors and employees of other organisations. This includes briefing individuals working for them and ensuring there is the necessary understanding, competence and application of requirements to work safely and without harming the environment.
Employees are responsible for ensuring they fully understand the health and safety risks involved in their work activities and their responsibility to apply the controls needed to manage those risks to acceptable levels. Similarly where work activities can have an adverse impact upon the environment, and particularly where there are legal requirements, employees are responsible for understanding those impacts and the controls they must ensure are applied.
If in doubt ask!
The Sunday Times 30 Best Big Companies to Work for 2017