3 months ago
About the role
Whilst specific responsibilities will be dependent upon the changing needs of the Tesco business, the following provides an overview of the role’s key responsibilities and measures:
* Architect, Design and Deliver solutions using existing Infrastructure components. Where new infrastructure technologies are being introduced, implement them and establish best practice for their adoption. Resolve incidents that have not been seen before and initiate change to ensure that issues can be easily dealt with in future.
* Contribute to the Technology Roadmap for Tesco Technology Data Centres
* Evaluate new tools and techniques being able to understand their value and impact.
* Understand current application development techniques (12 factor app) and their implications to infrastructure
* Lead group design discussions on my area of expertise and be able to present with authority to a variety of audiences.
* Collaborate with Software Engineers to understand their requirements and assist them consuming Infrastructure in the most seamless way possible.
* Coach and mentor system engineers across Technology who are at a more junior level. Ensure that my own team’s designs are of a high quality and understand the impacts to any other areas of infrastructure.
* Keep my technical skills up to date and keep track of new technologies, understanding how they might benefit the Technology team and wider Tesco.
* Introduce automation to all aspects of my day to day work.
This role will best suit an individual who enjoys working as part of a team, is well organised, pragmatic and a lateral thinker with an inquisitive mind who is motivated to make change for the better and, most importantly, puts our customers first.
You will be responsible for
The Infrastructure Engineering team design, develop, implement and operate all infrastructure used by Tesco Technology across our data centres, offices, stores and distribution centres. This encompasses multiple domains; private and public cloud, connectivity, end-user computing, CI/CD and monitoring toolkit. This includes both 3rd party and internally developed infrastructure applications and infrastructure that support the wider Tesco business.
As part of wider Infrastructure Team, Networks Transport Team design, develop, implement and operate all Network and Security infrastructure technologies that facilitate the both Infrastructure and the rest of Tesco Technology
Key activities include:
* Designs, develops, implements and operates the large-scale, high-capacity and highly resilient infrastructure solutions that allow the rest of Infrastructure, Technology development teams and business colleagues to consume Networks and Security Service.
* Setting the strategy, objectives and high-level plans for Networks Infrastructure Service in order to best deliver requirements of Tesco Technology and thus the business.
* Defining and continually overseeing standards and simplification across the entire Networks estate.
* Driving innovation through transformation and Continual Service Improvement
* Evaluating partners, software and hardware and finding the right mix to deliver the Technology and ultimately, business strategy
* Designs, develops, implements and operates Networks solutions in line with modern automation technologies where possible through self-service APIs. These solutions will allow Networks and rest of Infrastructure to be consumed in a controlled, auditable and repeatable manner, automatically handling failure seamlessly.
* Designing, delivering, implementing and operating new and re-usable infrastructure solutions to meet both technological, financial and business requirements. Collaborate with, and advise, development teams, to create appropriate infrastructure solutions to facilitate both their and ultimately the business requirements
You will need
Skills / Experience Required
* Experience designing and deploying solutions for large, complex global organisations
* Analytical and structured approach to design, process and advanced trouble-shooting
* Understand Tesco Technology and business strategies and convert into technology roadmaps and innovative solutions that best achieve these goals
* Ability to produce and maintain high quality HLD/LLD and Standards documentation
* Well organised self-starter who takes personal ownership and accountability at required levels of the work stream and project life cycles; willing to go the extra mile at every opportunity
* Builds and maintains positive relationships within and across teams
* Provides technical leadership within teams and mentoring for individuals
* Communicates effectively, able to deliver and present both written and verbal, designs, strategies and concepts clearly and affectively to Senior & Jnr staff alike
* Take ownership, to keep up-to-date and embrace the latest industry technologies and associated supplier solutions like SDN and SDWAN
Required Technology Skills (applicant should possess a minimum of 3)
* Excellent/CCDP levels of practical experience in designing/building, operating large-scale, Multilayer Switching and Routing using current CISCO equipment and IOS in a WAN and LAN environment using technologies like Multicast, Port Channelling, EIGRP, CDP, GLBP, VRF, QoS
* Very good knowledge of Wide Area Networking technologies and protocols, such as MPLS, WAN Optimisation (Riverbed Steelhead or Cisco WAS), CoS, DWDM. Ideally, with experience of dealing with major Global Comms suppliers
* Excellent technical knowledge of OSI network topologies, troubleshooting and design eg Routing Protocols (BGP, OSPF, iGRP), DNS, DHCP, IP Address Management and TCP/UDP Port RFC & IEEE 802-based standards.
* Cisco/Arista switches deployed in Spine/Leaf topology
* High levels of VPN experience along with associated technologies and protocols eg IPSec, Public/Private Key Encryption, TLS/SSL, digital cert techniques like ISA/KMP GRE and DMVPN
* High levels of Load balancing & Global/DNS balancing technologies and techniques, preferably F5 hardware and/or software appliances also Cisco ACE or Citrix Netscaler
* Good understanding of Internet/Web Technologies both hardware and cloud based, like CDN, Proxy/Caching, SSL Offloading/Interception, URL forwarding/re-direction from suppliers like Akamai, Bluecoat, Zscaler,
* Good understanding of browser-based technologies and protocols like HTML, HTTP/HTTPS and XML
* Good understanding of Network Management technologies and protocols like SNMP, Netflow, IPSLA, along with practical experience of associated Network Management & Alerting Tools
Desired Technical Skills
* Good technical knowledge of Firewalls Platforms and Technologies, including build/configuration of some of the following Palo Alto (pref) and Cisco ASA/FirePower (pref), also Checkpoint, Fortinet along with associated Management Systems and Firewall rule analysis tools eg Skybox, Tufin
* High levels of knowledge of remote access and two factor authentication technologies and AAA solutions, eg RSA, Juniper/Pulse, Cisco ACS, Radius
* High levels of experience of Threat prevention and detection techniques and associated technologies like IPS, IDS, APT/SEIM, Secure Proxy.
* SDN/automation technologies/configuration tools like GIT, Chef, Anisble or Puppet, preferably in a DevOps environment
* Latest 802.11-based WiFi standards and technologies with practical design and installation of provider solutions and tools eg Cisco, Aruba or Meraki and all associated survey techniques
* Scripting knowledge (eg Python, Unix/Linux or PowerShell & Batch)
* Familiarity with VMware NSX and wider VMware software stack (vCentre, vRealize)
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren’t limited to:
* Annual bonus scheme where you can earn up to 3.5% of base salary
* Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (plus 8 Bank holidays)
* On-site state of the art gym at our Welwyn Campus with discounted “Gympass” membership & free health checks via Nuffield Health
* Retirement savings plan - save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
* Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
* Share Schemes – Join our ‘Buy As You Earn’ & ‘Save As You Earn’ share schemes after 3 months service
* Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a household member) after 3 months service
* Colleague Discounts:
* 10% increasing to 15% after every pay day for a four day period, off most purchases at Tesco
* 10% off One Stop
* 10% off pay monthly & SIM only deals with Tesco Mobile
* 20% off all F&F purchases
* 20% off car, pet and home insurance at Tesco bank. T&C’s apply
* 25% off Tesco Café
* 50% off complete glasses purchases & free eye tests (other offers available) at Vision Express
* 50% off health checks at Tesco Pharmacy
* An exclusive deals and discounts website saving you money on everyday purchases, treats for the family, eating out and utility bills for the home
* Cycle to work scheme
* Shuttle Bus Service to/from Hatfield & Welwyn Garden City Station to Welwyn Campus & Hatfield Offices
* Opportunities to get on - take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training, to help you achieve the job and career you want
* Our Employee Assistance Programme helps you deal with life’s challenges
* Financial wellness - Tesco has partnered with experts to help you make the most of your money
* Get involved in a range of fundraising activities with our long-term charity partners
Our vision here at Tesco is to become every customer's favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is ‘Serving Britain's shoppers a little better every day’. Our business was built with a simple mission – to be the champion for customers, helping them to enjoy a better quality of life and an easier way of living. This hasn't changed. Customers want great products at great value which they can buy easily and it's our job to deliver this in the right way for them. In the UK, we serve some 66 shoppers every second, so it's our goal to ensure every one of those customers experiences just a little better service on each visit.
At Tesco, inclusion means that Everyone’s Welcome. Everyone is treated fairly and with respect; by valuing individuality and uniqueness we create a sense of belonging.
Diversity and inclusion have always been at the heart of Tesco. It is embedded in our values: we treat people how they want to be treated. We always want our colleagues to feel they can be themselves at work and we are committed to helping them be at their best.
Across the Tesco group we are building an inclusive workplace, a place to actively celebrate the cultures, personalities and preferences of our colleagues – who in turn help to build the success of our business and reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.