8 months ago
Location: Glasgow, Strathclyde, United Kingdom
Thales people architect solutions that are relied upon to deliver operational advantage at every decisive moment throughout the mission. Defence and armed forces customers rely on us to deliver the full range of defensive systems for land, sea, and air. From early warning, to threat neutralisation, our platforms cover all levels from very short-range systems, to extended protection across the entire battle-space including Air Traffic Management, Vehicles and Tactical Systems and Missile Defence, Optronics, and Radar.
Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space. Your health and well-being matters to us and that’s why we offer you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
Systems Design Engineer
An opportunity has arisen for an experienced systems design engineer to deliver the role of Systems Design Engineer in Thales OME Glasgow, Strathclyde.
The successful candidate will be a talented Systems Design Engineer with experience of conceptual and detailed design, Integration and delivery, coupled with a proven capability of delivering mission system programmes.
The role can be based in Glasgow, Strathclyde, but may be required to work at other Thales locations. Depending on the specific projects the role may require periods of time to be spent at Customer sites and/or integration facilities.
The candidate will have demonstrable experience interfacing with internal and external customers, understanding system requirements in the defence domain.
The role holder reports to the Systems Engineering Discipline Manager and will be allocated to projects in Vehicles or Naval Business area. The key individual responsibilities are:
- Provides technical leadership for bids and project Engineering Reviews.
- Identify and review technical risks, opportunities and mitigation plans throughout the bid and project phases;
- Define and propose candidate architectures to meet customer/stakeholder needs
- Creates the technical specifications with acceptance criteria for subsystems,
- Define the integration, verification, validation, qualification, certification and acceptance methods,
- Responsible for collated results and evidence.
- Ensure, with the support of Specialty Engineering experts & Safety/HSE (Health, Safety & Environment) stakeholders:
- Candidate solutions meet regulatory requirements including all applicable standards and legislation. This includes product safety & security and Environmental/HSE requirements and standards,
- Solution designs take into account the contractual requirements,
- That all related certification activities are performed correctly;
- Substantial experience in System design and development of complex hardware and software systems;
- Proven experience in working collaboratively across multiple product development and specialist domain teams
- Possesses in-depth knowledge of the fundamentals of Model Based Systems Engineering and SysML.
- Experienced in the use of Rhapsody, Capela or Enterprise Architect
- Proven track record of working and delivering on solutions for a defence programme
- Proficient in the use of Requirement Management tools (e.g. DOORS);
In line with Thales' Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 65,000 employees in 56 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!