about 1 year ago
Atkins is looking for extraordinary individuals to join our Systems and Safety Engineering team, to help us deliver rail projects and studies of varying scale; as well as help us to expand our services to the wider Transportation and Intelligent Mobility industry.
The Systems and Safety Practice works both in the UK and internationally. We help our clients understand and make decisions confidently in complex situations; covering independent audit/assessment, technology development, engineering process, scheme development and design, construction and commissioning operations and maintenance. Understanding projects from different stakeholders’ point of view, we help our clients to find the best solutions to their challenges. Working flexibly as teams, we support each other to develop and deliver, and take opportunities for socialising together too.
We are keen to hear from committed individuals at a range of levels who are seeking Systems Engineering and Safety Engineering roles; from early career engineers through to industry leading experts.
Leading or working as part of a team, the roles will provide opportunities to:
• Work with both internal and external Customers to deliver Systems and Safety Engineering – including technical scope definition and management, process definition, solution integration, performance analysis and assurance.
• Work with industry leading organisations to drive technical programme development
• Think critically, define and solve problems, challenge decisions and facilitate our clients thinking.
• Engage with stakeholders to ensure that their needs are understood, and shape our services in response.
• Work across Atkins to align process, share knowledge and drive innovation.
• Continuously develop your skills and competence to maintain professional qualification.
• Build and maintain a network of contacts within and outside of Atkins to build our reputation and develop opportunities.
Senior staff will also:
• Take on positions of responsibility within the practice; both developing and leading work, as well as mentoring and developing more junior staff.
• Technically govern the delivery of other projects.
• Drive the development and sharing of knowledge across the team.
• Actively lead business development and bidding opportunities.
We are looking for systematic thinkers with an appropriate level of understanding of key systems and safety engineering activities; as well as valid experience within at least one major industry, preferably connected with the railway industry.
Those interested in Systems Engineering should have appropriate experience in the key areas of requirements, integration and assurance. An appreciation or understanding of Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) concepts, tools and techniques is desirable but not essential.
Those interested in Safety Engineering should have appropriate experience in hazard identification and management techniques and an understanding of how engineering safety management is applied in the rail industry. An appreciation or understanding of qualitative and quantitative risk assessment, safety case authoring, SIL assessment/development and independent audit/assessment is desirable but not essential.
Experience in rail planning and operations, reliability, availability and maintainability (RAM) and rolling stock would also be welcomed, however are not essential.
Atkins is a big infrastructure consultancy that offers great scope for developing your career, and we don’t believe there’s a better place to be right now. You’ll develop your skills through experience working on a range of projects we have, with focused training and development whilst working as part of a vibrant and social team. You’ll make the most of your analytical skills, client focus and commercial acumen to deliver interesting, high quality projects. We’re very agile and flexible in the way we work and respond to new challenges, presenting many opportunities to upskill, grow your career and move between sectors.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.