4 months ago
System Engineer - Telecom Payloads
Airbus Defence and Space Ltd.
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2018 it generated revenues of 64 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners. Airbus is also a Europeanleader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as one of the world's leading space companies. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
A vacancy for a Payload System Engineer has arisen within Airbus Defence & Space in Portsmouth. The successful applicant will join our Telecom Payload Engineering group.
Our business designs and manufactures spacecraft.
Our processes focus on delivering a product which has to withstand the harshest of all environments, and our communication payloads must operate with high levels of reliability in the most extreme conditions, pushing materials and technology to their very limits. This role is an opportunity to approach system engineering in a unique context, where you will be able to learn and extend your capabilities in a multi-disciplinary working environment.
The position is based on Portsmouth site which is Airbus Centre of Excellence for Telecom payloads. The position being open in the specific area of Telecom missions, it provides a unique insight into the design, analysis, integration and delivery of a state of the art end-to-end communication system. This includes the telecom payload, but the role will also provide an insight into antenna, platform and spacecraft considerations and also into ground segment elements.
The successful applicant will be subject to UK Security Clearance in order to undertake related work in accordance with business needs.
Tasks & accountabilities
Your main tasks and responsibilities will include:
- Support the design process of a telecom payload for RF and DC electrical aspects
- Support the payload equipment specification stage; for electrical interfaces definition and for RF performance
- Take part to the design implementation and in particular own specific tasks related to the suppliers surveillance activities (verify compliance; support manufacturing and review suppliers’ test results)
- Perform RF analyses of payload performances as part of an integrated project team.
- Support the mission through the payload project lifecycle, in particular with the preparation and presentation to the customer at the occasion of the project’s gate reviews
- Support the Assembly Integration and test phases, for electrical integration and RF testing. First, at payload level, and then at spacecraft level (for environmental tests or radiated tests for instance)
- Take part to the analysis of the test results, working hand-in-hand with the Assembly, Integration and Test operations team (working in clean room environment); lead investigations, address noncompliance and present results reports to the customer
- Throughout the project lifecycle, work hand-in-hand with other engineering teams of the business division (equipment; mechanical systems; EMC; etc.)
- Work at transverse level with other groups such as the Mechanical Design Office, Purchasing, equipment suppliers and Assembly and Integration Test teams.
As more experience is gained on project, the role will evolve and offer the opportunity to take additional responsibilities such as:
- Development of performance models for payloads; telecom systems or subsystems
- Take part to the sourcing / evaluation of future payload equipment
- Analysis of future payload system architecture
- Take part to the continuous improvement of our payload modelling and analysis tools
- Support the project team at transverse level and contribute to work outside of the strict perimeter of the repeater: liaise with antennas, active antenna; platform / spacecraft; ground segment teams
- Support R&D activities in the area of commercial Telecom but also defence and security
- Support payload proposals activities
This role could involve some travel for business and as such you must be able to travel accordingly.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the company's success, reputation and sustainable growth.
We are looking for applicants with a degree in Telecommunications, Electrical, Electronic engineering, mathematics or physics. Modules related to RF/microwave/radio comms and/or Electrical System Engineering would be extremely advantageous, coupled with some academic background or knowledge in the following domains:
- Microwave / high frequency RF engineering
- Knowledge of Satellite Communications systems
- Digital signal processing
- Active antenna systems
- An understanding of equipment fitted to the Satellite payload such as receivers, converters, amplifiers, waveguides and antennas
- Modulation and coding schemes
- Engineering life cycles and equipment/system/payload or environmental testing
- Quality standards
Technical and IT skills required:
- Basic knowledge of computer programming
- Proficient in MS Office applications, especially Microsoft Excel
- Experience with modelling tools such as Matlab Simulink; SystemVue; ADS; etc. would be a plus
- Academic background supported by pre / post graduate experience gained through internship or research projects
- Any experience involving utilisation of RF instruments, test equipment; test techniques will be desirable.
- Experience of working within an environment controlled strictly through an established quality system
- Previous industrial experience in Airbus’ domain is not mandatory, but demonstration of the desire to work in the Space Industry is essential.
Many of our staff work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
We value the strength that diverse perspectives bring to our business; if you require any reasonable adjustments to fully participate in the recruitment process please discuss this with the Recruitment Business Partner who contacts you.