11 months ago
Role Title and Location: System Architect for the Mission Planning & Control Product Line Group (Bristol)
Job Ref No: P7066
MBDA Level of role: Level 4
Reports to: Group Leader MP&C Product Line Delivery
Mission Planning and Control (MP&C) is considered a critical contributor to Surface Attack Weapon Systems that provides key ‘smart’ off-weapon capabilities to MBDA Missile Systems. The MP&C Product Line (PL) group is responsible for establishing a Product Line of re-usable capabilities that are developed in-line with the Product Roadmaps for future Missile Systems. The group works with projects to develop and embed a MP&C capability into new weapons. A key enabler to this strategy is the establishment of generic, model-based reference architectures that are subsequently embodied into programmes, as well as flexible software-oriented products that are designed for re-use.
The role requires systemic, flexible and agile thinkers who can work at different levels of system abstraction, across the breadth of the system lifecycle. Our involvement in programmes encompasses concept analysis and applied research, through the design and development of sub-systems/equipment and their final delivery. Hence due to the nature of these programmes, the role will be varied, and you may be working on multiple activities in parallel.
The team are also responsible for ensuring a consistent, internationally agreed approach to the design by working across the company to agree architecture, design templates and implementation methods.
We are looking for highly capable, versatile and enthusiastic System Architects and System Engineers to work proactively within the team across a number of international programmes and company funded research activities.
* To provide a system design capability to new programmes through future concept and assessment (C&A) phases as well as through the development and manufacturing (D&M) phase, adopting the PL Architecture as well as other Weapon System (WS) reference architectures.
* To undertake systems analysis and design, and elaborate parent requirements through the sub-system design phase taking account of the functional and physical design.
* To understand and manage source requirements received from projects for decomposition through the onward design. To establish requirements traceability and manage requirements queries and changes.
* To develop detailed sub-system functional designs using SysML, and derive subsequent component requirements.
* Undertake general Systems Engineering studies and investigations to support the Product Line and projects.
* To support research studies in the development and validation of Product algorithms and capabilities to meet future project needs.
* To develop and maintain the MP&C Product Line System Architecture (SysML) model. The Architecture has been designed to support a flexible Product Line (PL) for future MP&C products. It applies the principles of design for modularity and reuse, supported by the establishment of best practice engineering processes for Product Lines.
* To help develop methods for the design, development and instantiation of Products from the Product Line.
* Working with Future Systems teams, understand the future direction and trends in weapon system and wider battlespace architecting in order to inform the MP&C PL Roadmap and its technologies.
* To define product design assurance strategies and develop test plans and descriptions.
* Liaise with the Software Design and Equipment teams to coordinate the onward development of the software components and equipment in line with design for modularity and re-use principles.
* Participate in technology studies to identify candidate solutions and advise on selection.
* Establish, maintain and adopt systems processes and procedures including configuration control, requirements management, validation/verification strategies, product definition, etc.
* Promote the benefits of architecture-centered development, and in particular the adoption of reference architectures for the benefits of modularity and reuse.
What’s in it for you?
* Your role will be varied across different types of programme in different lifecycle phases, from applied research through to formal programme deliverables, with placements ranging from 1 week to 12 months. Hence your role will be technically varied due to the nature of the work.
* You will be part of a team solving a very unique problem – how do I establish and adopt generic military products in environments that, by their nature, have very differing constraints? Whilst minimising time-to-market and costs, but maintaining the high standards demanded.
* You will be working within a multi-national organisation, which will involve joint working with different national companies, including travel both within the UK and Europe.
What’s great about the team?
* You will be joining a relatively new Mission Planning and Control Product Line Team that is growing to meet the demands of future Weapon Systems.
* As a rounded and experienced engineer, your skills and abilities will be valued to seed and grow new teams, through the coaching of junior members, and foster relationships with projects by the application of technical expertise and best practice.
* This team requires high calibre, flexible, motivated team players that are committed to delivery within a complex environment.
* You will be working for a key Function within MBDA, providing a breadth of capabilities to concept and assessment studies, and new programmes.
What are we looking for?
* A systemic thinker with the ability to solve problems in a structured manner, identifying key abstractions in their solution.
* Excellent reasoning, analytical and problem solving skills.
* An ability to adapt to changing priorities, programme needs and tasks.
* Experience in the application of systematic design methods to articulate a design solution.
* Openness to an understanding and use of industry best practice in the establishment of Product Lines.
* Sound understanding and experience in applying System Engineering processes (including System and Sub-System Design, System Test and Integration).
* Relevant Engineering or Science based Degree (or equivalent).
* Experience in the use of System Modelling using SysML (or UML) (preferably using Rhapsody).
* Knowledge of tools for Requirements Management (preferably DOORS) and Configuration Management (preferably RTC).
* Exposure to software architectures, technologies and methods.
* Design and development of ground-based mission systems.
* Algorithm specification, development and validation.
* Experience working in a Product Line team or in a product team adopting a Product Line.
* Understanding of Enterprise Architectures (preferably MODAF).
* The opportunity would suit an experienced software engineer with a UML/OOD modelling background who is thinking of moving into Systems Design.
Why should you come and work at MBDA?
* MBDA, a world leader in missiles and missile systems, is a multi-national group with 10,000 employees on industrial facilities in France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom and the United States
* With some of the most sophisticated technology in defence, MBDA is Europe’s leading guided weapons company and with this in mind we continually look to broaden our existing talent base whilst maintaining a strategic edge, by exploiting new markets and new applications for our world-class technology base
* Our success is based on the dedication of our people and we strive to offer each and every employee an enjoyable, challenging and rewarding career
* Our work is complex, challenging and innovative. It takes a range of professionals across the full engineering and commercial spectrum to carry it out. Whatever field our people specialise in, they all share the same mind-set: a drive to make things work better and to redefine the established standards
What would you get?
* Competitive salaries, flexible working, paid overtime (subject to level), a comprehensive pension scheme, employee funded voluntary private healthcare, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes (subject to level) and superb learning and development opportunities.