about 1 year ago
Structural Integrity/Finite Element Consultant
Requisition ID :2019-38395
Work Location :GB-Cheshire-Warrington
Department / Discipline : Structural Engineering
Position Type : Staff / Permanent
Market / Sector (Candidate Portal Searching)
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood's nuclear business supports customers in the energy generation, new build, decommissioning and defence sectors.
Our nuclear business has offices in Knutsford and Birchwood in Cheshire, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, Dorchester, Harwell, Glasgow, Newcastle, Bristol, Cumbria, Reading and London. We also have a strong international presence to support our growing operations in France, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, South Africa and Japan.
Our reputation for safely delivering quality projects on time and on budget is well recognised in the industries we serve. We have proven expertise in managing large, complex projects, a global reach and long-standing UK presence, strong relationships with our clients and cutting-edge processes and technologies.
What that means to you is the opportunity to experience a real variety of projects, working with people from different backgrounds. You'll work closely with our clients and committed to achieving outstanding results in a stimulating and quality-driven environment.
Wood’s Nuclear business is a world renowned global nuclear service provider that has a wide range of contracts supporting the management and operation of existing nuclear power plants and facilities and the licensing of new nuclear build designs and programmes.
Our Structural Performance Team, based at our Birchwood Park office near Warrington in Cheshire, comprises a broad range of multi-disciplined structural integrity experts spanning metallurgy, materials science, corrosion science, structural integrity analysis/assessment, structural and mechanical engineering and advanced manufacturing processes. We provide these services to a range of customers, mainly but not exclusively in the nuclear industry, to ensure the economic and safe operation of capital-intensive plant, form both government and private industry. We also actively participate in a number of national and international projects and maintain close links with universities, particularly in relation to the research and development work we undertake and support.
Currently, there is an opportunity for a Consultant Structural Integrity/Finite Element Engineer to work on developing and applying structural integrity assessment methods, particularly applied to metallic materials. The applicant should have an understanding of finite element analysis, in particular the ABAQUS package, and the use of fracture mechanics methodologies. The successful applicant will work on a variety of projects and research tasks, for civil nuclear power, naval nuclear propulsion, process/chemical and other industries.
* Contributing to detailed structural integrity assessments, including finite element modelling.
* Clear and concise reporting of the results of these assessments to customers.
* Contributing to other structural integrity projects as required.
Skills / Qualifications
* Professional Institution accredited Degree or Post Graduate qualification in an engineering or scientific discipline.
* Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work as a member of a team.
* Be able to gain security clearance required for working on civil nuclear and on naval nuclear tasks and programmes.
* Have a understanding of finite element analysis and fracture mechanics
Wood offers diverse and rewarding development prospects, along with the salary and benefits expected of a successful and growing internationally recognised company.
What do you get?
As well as exciting roles on projects in the UK and abroad; in a supportive and professional work environment, these are some of the additional benefits you can expect at Wood:
* A competitive reward package
* Work life balance – We offer flexible working; we have core and flex hours in all our permanent office locations.
* Family friendly benefits – maternity, paternity, adoption and parental leave.
* International opportunities - As an 60,000 strong community of colleagues operating in 60 countries you will have access to international career opportunities.
* For your peace of mind we offer life insurance benefit on top of a contributory pension scheme, as well as income protection and life assurance benefit.
* To support you throughout your career you will have access to an Employee Assistance programme, which can offer anything from financial advice to mental health support and counselling sessions.
For our communities:
* We give back to our communities, we have a matched funding community investment programme. In our global business our people are showing commitment and courage to care for the communities we operate in. You can do this by supporting causes and raising funds for charities that are important to you, your colleagues and your local area.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.