8 months ago
Structural Facade Engineer - London
We are looking for a Facade Engineer to join our Facade Engineering team in London. This opportunity could suit a Facade Engineer with a structural background, or a Structural Engineer looking to make the transition into Facade design engineering.
BuroHappold Façade Group is an expanding Specialist Services discipline with an impressive portfolio of projects including Bee'ah HQ, Michael Uren Biomedical Hub, The (award-finalist) Museum of the Future and many more
This steady stream of excellent projects has created an outstanding opportunity for an experienced and ambitious Engineer or Senior Engineer to join our London-based team. We envision that this position will interest a technically competent person with a solid foundation of experience and provide an opportunity to further advance your career whilst working on some iconic global projects.
What is the role?
Naturally this role will require you to be able to understand and react to the changing design of the overall building and be able to communicate your ideas clearly in speech and good quality hand sketches, or other means as necessary. The ability to develop ideas convincingly “on the page” in a meeting will be a significant advantage.
At the core of this role is the responsibility to:
* Play a major role as a Engineer in the Facades Group of Buro Happold.
* Assist in developing jobs technically from initial client ideas.
* Be part of a team delivering complex Facades jobs, with the assistance of Senior staff
* Hone your ability to provide strong design leadership on Façade Issues to the rest of the Client’s design team.
* Maintain good client relations throughout the job and work with a variety of stakeholders.
* Play an integral role in the development of structural engineering skills in the team.
What do I bring?
As an experienced and capable Facade Engineer we would expect you to be able to demonstrate:
* Considerable experience of Design which should ideally include the majority of the following:
- At least two materials: aluminium, steel, concrete, stone, glass and timber.
- Awareness of basic weather Performance Issues.
- Architectural component detail design including aesthetics.
- Secondary Structure Structural Design.
- Glass structural design.
- Knowledge of typical cladding systems.
* Good awareness of the problems and constraints of the other major design disciplines such as Architectural, Structures, Services, Fire Engineering, Acoustics, and Computer modelling etc.
* Achieved or working towards Chartered Engineer, Professional Engineer or equivalent registration with the ECUK or other appropriate body
* Solid education in Structural Engineering. Other formal qualifications such as the MSc in Façade Engineering from Bath University or PhD level research would naturally be of great interest.
* Ideally you will also have experience working on international projects, as well as domestic projects and be interested and willing to travel from time to time.
What's it in for you...
In return we can offer you the opportunity to...
* Play a key role in the Facade engineering team, making a significant contribution to the maintenance and development of structural design skills within the team;
* Collaborate with a global team of facade engineers, sharing work and ideas with teams in New York, Berlin, and Hong Kong;
* Work on some of the most iconic and architecturally inspiring building envelope designs in the built environment, with current and recent examples including Museum of the Future in Dubai, City of Dreams in Macau, and the Factory Theatre in Manchester.
For more information or a confidential discussion, please get in contact with Thomas White in the BuroHappold recruitment team (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Museum of the Future, Dubai
BuroHappold is proud to be a practice of a diverse range of professionals that reflects the countries in which we operate. In order to truly benefit from this diversity we must create an environment in which employees feel they can be themselves. BuroHappold actively promotes inclusivity across the practice to enable every individual to reach their full potential, feeling included is good for all of us. This begins with a fair and inclusive recruitment process which focuses on your skills, competencies and experiences in relation to the role. We understand that through collaboration, diverse people with different experiences develop the most innovative and elegant solutions.