about 1 year ago
Structural Engineer - Consultant
Requisition ID :2019-38185
Work Location :GB-Tyne and Wear-Newcastle upon Tyne
Department / Discipline : Engineering - Structural
Position Type : Staff / Permanent
Market / Sector (Candidate Portal Searching)
Overview / Responsibilities
As the demand for our expertise continues to grow, an opportunity has arisen for a Structural Engineer at Consultant grade to join our Structural Team based in Newcastle upon Tyne. Working within various multidiscipline project design teams, you will contribute to the delivery of the structural engineering design content on a range of challenging projects across various sectors including Government, Energy, Commercial, Industrial and Infrastructure.
This position will perform a broad range of design tasks for stand-alone water and wastewater treatment, sewer flooding, water and sewerage networks and general infrastructure projects, as well as structural design tasks associated with support of other multi-discipline projects. Duties will include field investigations, analyses and studies, as well as the development of plans, construction drawings, specifications, design calculations, reports and contract documents. The position will be technically involved in detailed design work, detailed checking of work completed by others, coordination of civil and non-civil designs on multi-discipline projects, as well as resolution of design issues during construction.
We have a number of excellent opportunities for motivated individuals to play an important role in the delivery of design. In particular, we are looking for experience in the implementation of the structural design of water or waste water projects to support our growing workload in these areas.
With frameworks with most of the major Water Companies there is substantial potential for career development and growth.
* Reporting to a senior member of the structural design team carrying out structural design in accordance with current Eurocodes
* Adherence to quality and technical assurance procedures for all deliverables produced by the team
* Delivering structural design to a range of services/projects across a broad range of sectors
* Compliance with Wood HS&E, quality, financial, risk management, business and policy requirements.
Skills / Qualifications
* Experience of structural design and analysis software such as Tekla Tedds / MasterSeries / Staad.pro etc.
* Experience in the design of structural elements in a range of materials particularly steel and concrete in accordance with Eurocodes.
* Has previous experience of working within a multi-disciplinary or engineering consultancy
* Experience in a consultancy environment
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Demonstrable technical review/assurance skills
* Thorough knowledge and use of AutoCAD
* Experience of 3D design software (e.g. Autodesk Revit and/or Civil 3D)
* Previously or currently working for one of Wood's direct competitors
* Has multi-sector experience
* Considerable experience of working on major infrastructure projects
* Qualified to degree level (or equivalent) in Civil Engineering
* Working towards Chartered Engineer Status
* Member of a relevant professional body either ICE, or IStructE
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.