3 months ago
About the role
We currently have an opening for a strategic planner to join the GL Hearn team in our London office. Engaged as professional planning practitioner you will be based within the Economic Planning team, part of the London Planning team, working on a wide variety of spatial planning and evidence based study projects. We provide best in leading advice to clients across London and the UK and have the opportunity to work on high profile and diverse commissions.
In particular you can expect to be involved in economic development needs assessments, housing market analysis and delivery strategy, socioeconomic assessment and regeneration strategy, developing evidence and advice that underpins the planning and development process. Our current and recent commissions include new settlement feasibility, socioeconomic assessment of major estate renewal, future economic and industrial strategy for East and West London Boroughs and advising on a number of key Local Plan housing and economic matters.
You will be providing evidence and advice to the public and private sectors on a wide range of issues including economic growth and impact, housing need and regeneration. You will assist with and manage your own day-to-day projects under the direction of a Director or Project Manager and be capable of assisting with report writing and data analysis on economics, property, demographic and housing market dynamics.
About GL Hearn/Capita | Local Government, Health & Property
GL Hearn, part of the Capita Local Government Health & Property and part of Capita plc, the UK's leading provider of business process management and integrated professional support service solutions, with 68,000 staff across the UK, Europe, South Africa and India.
We are one of the UK's largest and most diverse multidisciplinary consultancies in the design, management, infrastructure, real estate, civil engineering, environmental management and transport sectors. We are also the market leader in strategic public-private partnerships with local government clients.
We have over 4,000 staff based in 60 UK & Ireland offices offering a vast range of professional and technical expertise across an unrivalled number of services. The breadth and depth of our experience ensures that we are able to add value to any project, regardless of size, complexity or sector.
* Assisting with a range of strategic planning and economic projects under direction of a Director or Project Manager. Client liaison and representation of GL Hearn in client meetings and external meetings with local planning authorities and other stakeholders. Liaison with the public and other professionals in connection with project consultation.
* Responsible for specific elements in a varied caseload including data gathering and analysis, presentations of findings (internal and external), site appraisal, policy review and report writing.
* Provision of support to senior staff and assistance with developing strategy advice on a range of projects.
* Management of time and workload under direction of Director.
* Continuing professional development relating directly to projects and development of wider planning and economic knowledge commensurate with role and experience.
* Maintaining and developing technical knowledge and securing a thorough working knowledge/awareness of all aspects of economics and strategic planning policy and practice.
* Attend external events and identify business opportunities and assist with bids
Qualifications and Essential Skills:
* Membership/working towards of Royal Town Planning Institute.
* Educated to degree level (town planning, economics, geography or related discipline).
* 0-5 years experience (private/public sector)
* Knowledge of the English planning system
* Excellent and focussed report writing, numerical and data analytical skills (excel). Ability to develop arguments and to identify key concepts and contribute to strategy development.
* Ability to think laterally and strategically.
* Desirable but not essential skills, data modelling, GIS, presentation production, demographics
* Strong interpersonal skills and a team player.
* Good time management skills and full appreciation of the commercial context of working under pressure and to deadlines in a busy consultancy.
* Professional attitude and dedication to career.
* Ability to work in a team and individually.
* Ability to express arguments succinctly and effectively directly and in writing.
* Enthusiasm and willingness to develop a career in a private sector planning consultancy.
What’s in it for you?
At GL Hearn, training and development aren’t optional extras: they’re how we do our job. We will motivate you to perform at your peak, recognising your achievements and rewarding them appropriately. As well as a generous basic salary we also give you 25 day’s holiday, company pension scheme and access to voluntary benefit options including; child care vouchers, share save scheme, life assurance, holiday buy and many more designed to suit your own personal lifestyle. All of this, in a professional but fun environment.
What we hope you will do next
Help us find out more about you by completing our short application process – click apply now.
Capita operates as an equal opportunities employer and we welcome all applications regardless of gender, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, race, colour, ethnic origin, nationality, religion or beliefs, disability, age, political opinions or trade union membership.