11 months ago
Infrastructure Global Business Unit:
Infrastructure is not just about physical assets, such as roads and bridges. It is also about providing people with the power, clean water, communications, and mobility that they need. With the world population expected to reach more than 9 billion by 2050, purposeful, smartly, and sustainably designed infrastructure will become critical to expanding society’s access to public goods and innovations that advance individual and community capacity, well-being, national economic growth, and overall prosperity.
Read more here!
1. Purpose of the Job
To facilitate understanding and delivery of all approvals required for the successful completion of CRL Stage 2 scope, including CRL led integration testing activity at Heathrow.
CRL Stage 2, scheduled for May 2018, requires the introduction of 4 trains per hour between Paddington High Level and Heathrow CTA with the new 9-car Class 345. This service will replace the half hourly Great Western Railway 5-car Class 360 EMUs (branded “Heathrow Connect”).
Stage 2 was introduced to reduce the risks associated with Crossrail start-up by tackling separately the challenges of the inner western section. These are substantial, amounting to a new service start-up requiring the deployment of the Class 345 in its definitive 9-car configuration, commissioning of DOO CCTV despatch equipment at stations, many of them with extended platforms and commissioning of ETCS Level 2 over the Heathrow Branch.
Stage 2 involves a number of parties with formal approval responsibilities. The principal project entities are Network Rail and Bombardier, both of them needing to secure authorisations from the ORR to place new assets in service under the RIR. NR is involved also as an operator, as IM for Paddington station and the route as far as Airport Junction, and also as the party contracted by the IM of the Heathrow Branch, Heathrow Airport Limited, to undertake many of its IM duties on its behalf. Other operators involved include MTR Crossrail, Great Western Railway as IM for Slough station, and DB Cargo, contracted by Bombardier to act as Transport Undertaking for the operation of Class 345 trains for transfer and testing purposes. Other TOCs operating over GW and HAL lines may also be involved where compatibility issues arise.
Crossrail Limited has no formal responsibilities relating to Stage 2 start-up approvals, but as funder of the works and project integrator, and recognising the difficulties that can arise from multi-party endeavours of this nature, has appointed a Programme Integration Manager to oversee progress and to intervene to facilitate progress where necessary. Crossrail has contracted the project entities to undertake ETCS integration testing going beyond that required by standards in order to reduce start-up risk. Crossrail Limited wishes to appoint a Stage 2 Approvals Facilitator to support approvals aspects of the Stage 2 programme.
2. Principal Accountabilities
The Stage 2 Approvals Facilitator will report to the Stages 2,4,5 Programme Integration Manager, and will undertake duties including the following:
- Establish positive working relationships with appropriate personnel in all the duty holding organisations involved in Stage 2 start-up;
- Establish similar relationships with the SRPs created under the SMSs of the various Duty Holders;
- Develop amongst those organisations a shared understanding of the legal, regulatory and approvals framework governing preparations for start-up;
- Understand all necessary approvals activities and milestones, and their antecedents, and develop a consolidated Level 2 Stage 2 approvals programme plan for use in monitoring activity, identifying misalignments and overcoming obstacles to progress;
- Regularly briefing the Stage 2,4,5 Programme Integration Manager on progress and issues, and preparing formal reports as required for distribution within the Crossrail programme.
The Stage 2 Approvals Facilitator may consult the CRL/RfL Regulatory Engineer, or the Acting Head of Regulatory Approvals, where their prior experience, or knowledge of approvals management at the Crossrail programme level, might be helpful.
4. Dimensions & Interfaces (Internal and External)
Key working relationships
- Reports to Stages 2, 4 & 5 Programme Integration Manager.
- Works closely with the CRL/RfL Regulatory Engineer and other programme-related directors, chief engineer, head of railway integration, project managers, directorate support teams, infrastructure managers and other third party stakeholders as required.
5. Person Specification
- Capable professional with excellent interpersonal skills;
- Experience of programme management;
- Good understanding of railway industry structure and regulatory landscape;
- Experience of working in the field of railway operations or railway engineering, at least to the extent of general familiarity with the nature of railway assets and nomenclature, is also desirable.
- Able to obtain from examining regulations and other formal documents a full and detailed understanding of the requirements of the law, of relevant industry standards, of the safety management systems of operators and the assurance and assessment processes of project entities and their assessment bodies
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right—no matter how big, how complex, or how remote. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Since its founding in 1898, Bechtel has worked on more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents. Today, our 53,000 colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without
regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected
veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.