7 months ago
DevOps & Site Reliability Engineer
What's it like to work at OVO?
You will be joining the Engineering Services team whose mission is to ensure OVO’s software engineering teams have the right conditions to build and operate high-performance, reliable, secure & scalable systems. You’ll provide coaching, implementation and guidance on improvements to infrastructure and observability across teams at OVO.
This is a varied role where you’ll be exposed to the full technology stack and will work across projects spanning deployment & infrastructure automation, SRE, performance engineering, release engineering and monitoring distributed systems, all with close collaboration with engineering teams.
The Engineering Services team creates software tools, infrastructure and automation that are reusable across many software teams while being reliable for the future. This enables us to scale the freedom and autonomy OVO’s engineering culture is built upon.
Diverse teams are the best teams.
We’re keen to meet people with varied backgrounds: the more inclusive we are the better our work will be.
We understand some people may not apply to jobs unless they tick every box. And we know 'normal' office hours don't work for everyone, so we're open to discussing flexible working requests. If you're excited about joining us and think you have much of what we're looking for, even if you're not 100% sure… we'd love to hear from you.
In our London offices we have almost 150 Software Engineers all with varying backgrounds and levels of experience. One key thing that all of our engineers have in common is a desire to develop brilliant, industry disrupting products as well as their own skills.
What will I be doing?
* You’ll be engineering tools that improve production & deployment capabilities for all teams; solutions that provide scalable foundations to building high-performing services
* Work on defined projects, directly with teams, that aim to give their operations a boost, such as improving continuous delivery pipelines with pipelines and infrastructure as code
* Align with the rest of Engineering Services in driving operational excellence & best practices around service performance, deployment, monitoring and availability
That sounds super exciting, but… Do I have what it takes?
We are looking for excellent software engineers and whilst experience is important, ultimately less so than your demonstrated abilities and attitude; we see Site Reliability Engineering as a mindset.
It would be excellent if you have...
* A strong background in software engineering; we don’t mind what language! (Python, Scala, Clojure, Java etc.)
* Extensive system design experience
* Knowledge in Site Reliability Engineering
* Interest in distributed systems and data streaming architecture
* Experience with cloud computing (AWS / GCP)
* CD/CI tooling & continuous delivery best practices
* Network & Security knowledge
* Knowledge/interest in Kubernetes and container orchestration
* Experience in scripting languages and automation practices
* Demonstrable experience in agile and XP environments
* Ability to articulate improvements within software engineering for operational benefit
* An inquisitive and curious approach, with confidence to tackle difficult problems
* Rapid adoptee of merit-proven new approaches & technologies
* Problem solver / structured thinker
* Always happy to help and a natural sharer of knowledge
Want to check out more?
Working in Tech at OVO Energy