9 months ago
Sparkworks Laser IRAD Lead
MBDA Missile Systems - Deliver For A More Secure Tomorrow
Role Title and Location: Sparkworks Laser IRAD Lead - Bristol
Job Ref No: P7960BF
MBDA Level: Level 3 or 4 dependent on experience
Reports to: Head of Sparkworks
Part time working considered: yes
Sparkworks is the part of future systems that develops disruptive capabilities. Its current focus is; RF Directed Energy Weapons (RF DEW), Laser Directed Energy Weapons (LDEW), Low Observability (LO) and Emerging Technologies. Its aim is to mature concepts using new and unusual tech, deliver prototypes, demonstrations and trials, ultimately delivering step changes in capability to the UK and friendly nations. A number of opportunities exist for conscientious System Design engineers who can employ their ability to see the bigger picture whilst understanding the detail to many and varied challenges at all stages of the CADMID cycle. The Laser IRAD Lead role is to be responsible for the international laser product accelerator programme.
What are we looking for?
We seek a systems engineer with the following attributes:
* Creativity, imagination & problem solving skills
* Adaptability & willingness to deal with fluidity in fast paced environments
* Attention to detail
* Record of successful technical work delivered individually and/or as part of a team
* Ability to work with minimal supervision and often from a blank sheet of paper
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills, backed by working knowledge of Office software
* Candidates must be willing to undertake the DV (Developed Vetting) clearance process once working at MBDA (dependent on the role)
* Proven delivery of technical programmes
* Ability to step back from day to day aspects, view the bigger picture context and navigate a successful course through complex and changing requirements
A candidate who additionally possesses a science background and a passion for technology would be particularly suited to the role.
What’s in it for you?
* Interesting and exciting work, giving you the opportunity to work on some truly innovative and world-class technology
* Opportunities to e involved in projects through their full lifecycle, from bid to customer delivery
* Frequent opportunities to gain visibility for you and your work at the highest level both inside and outside the company
* Having a varied ‘day-job’
* Excellent training opportunities in a broad range of relevant subjects; achieved through formal training courses and/or on-the-job training
* Opportunities to move within the team to gain experience of new areas (technical, project management, systems engineering, trials)
* Opportunities to develop new skills through interaction with specialist areas within MBDA
What would you get?
Competitive salary, flexible working, paid overtime (subject to level), a comprehensive pension scheme, employee funded voluntary private healthcare, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes (subject to level) and superb learning and development opportunities.
The opportunities available are best suited to engineers with a systems background who are comfortable with a blank sheet of paper and rapid delivery of complex prototype systems. Within that the role can be scoped to best match a person’s strengths, interests and aspirations.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the International laser IRAD team as the UK technical lead and help steer the strategic goals of MBDA Group in laser. The role involves working with international stakeholders to ensure the delivery of technical milestones across the Laser IRAD group and as such will include opportunities for international travel. We are seeking a good team player who can build strong working relationships to influence and develop European cooperation and collaboration. Responsibilities would include coordination of deliverables, management ofwork packages and budgets andstrategic planning. This role also provides opportunities to interact with stakeholders at senior levels and a key skill would be the ability to present complex information effectively. This job is ideally suited to someone with good project management and communication skills who is looking for an opportunity to steer the strategic direction of a growing technology and capability programme across Europe.
What’s great about the team?
* Become part of a very diverse team of highly motivated scientists and engineers, who are genuinely interested in their fields
* Frequent exposure to high-profile, fast-paced projects
* Work on projects varying from a few weeks duration to several years
* Access to a large laboratory suite supported by state-of-the-art test equipment.
* Enjoy a high level of autonomy
* Have ready access to in-house experts to supplement knowledge
* Contribute to high-level VIP visits in support of senior management
* Opportunity to attend international conferences to keep abreast of developments in the field
* Undertaking this role you would be joining a dynamic, focussed team responsible for the development of our future business. The chance to exploit innovative and novel techniques in the development of the company’s future portfolio.
MBDA is committed to providing an inclusive working environment where our employees can be themselves and everyone has equal opportunity to reach their full potential. We value difference and know that a diverse community makes for greater innovation and brings a breadth of skills, experience and perspectives.
Please Note: MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve and maintain SC security clearance or above without restrictions that will inhibit the individual’s ability to fulfil the requirements of the role. Your eligibility for the appropriate level of security clearance may be discussed with you during the recruitment process. Any existing clearance holders may be able to transfer clearance (subject to approval).
We encourage applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements. MBDA is a proud member of Working Families – the UK’s work-life balance organisation.
Are you a member of LinkedIn? If so, you are invited to view future MBDA UK opportunities and news by following our MBDA LinkedIn Company page.* Directorate
Engineering & Design
Sparkworks Laser IRAD Lead
* Job Ref no