6 months ago
Location: Bristol, United Kingdom
Thales people architect and deliver satellite-based systems that help position, connect and observe our planet, and push the boundaries of our understanding of planet's resources. Our systems are in orbit at 400 km, 20000 km, 36000 km and beyond to the edges of the solar system.
Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space. Your health and well-being matters to us and that’s why we offer you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
Primary Purpose of the Role:
Joining the systems team of Thales Alenia Space in the UK and working on a number of fascinating Earth Observation Mission or National UK Mission, the spacecraft electrical architect will lead the design of the spacecraft/system/subsystem electrical architecture and Avionics architecture.
Reporting to the Systems Engineering Manager, the main duties and responsibilities will include:
* Design and conduct trade-offs on the system/subsystem electrical architecture including interfaces and protocols, data handling, hardware fault protection and power distribution. This electrical architect will lead preliminary design electrical architecture as well as detailed design.
* Take into account EMC requirements within the design
* Analyse and identify developments required at EM and EQM to support flight development
* Manage interfaces between subsystems
* Manage customer requirements and devolve these into subsystem requirements
* Support integration and verification strategy for the Avionics/Electrical subsystems
* Manage costs and schedule for the electrical architecture activities
* Support bids providing technical insight as well as costing inputs
* Provide guidance to junior engineers and grow the electrical architecture capability
The position will be based at the TAS-UK Bristol office but up to 10% of work may need to be conducted at subcontractor’s or customer premises, typically in UK or Europe.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
* Deliver defined tasks to budget & schedule
* Generate specification, architecture, development and validation plans
* Analyse and where appropriate identify developments required at EM and EQM to support flight development
* Implement and test hardware in accordance with relevant standards
* Support Skill Lead in optimising approaches to engineering processes
Values & Behaviours:
* Produce items to quality standards to meet customer / contractual requirements.
* Provide all tasks and outputs, typically defined within a work package description, in conformance to agreed scope budget and schedules.
* Build relationships with colleagues and work cooperatively with others to achieve project goals.
* Contribute to professional exchanges and develop the corporate expertise in digital design engineering.
* Proactive to optimise engineering processes to reduce costs
In line with Thales' Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 65,000 employees in 56 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!