about 1 year ago
The technology and systems expertise offered by Thales’s
Transportation team powers safe, reliable and efficient services to rail
networks the world over. In the UK, we deliver advanced signalling,
supervision and control, integrated communications, security and
information systems for urban rail, mainline rail and road networks. And
as we continue to grow our business, we need more talent to join us in
making our cities better connected.
Primary Purpose of the Role:
* To provide the principal engineering delivery leadership, direction, decision authority and support to the Programme or bid.
direct and manage the Engineering team on project or bid to achieve
company objectives in terms of programme schedule, financial and quality
* To ensure that the Engineering
Processes are applied correctly and appropriately on the project to
company, legislative, regulatory and international standards.
role will include includes significant Management responsibility for
engineering strategy and direction and may have direct line management
responsibilities for staff on Project.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
list below is not exhaustive nor will individuals be expected to be
able to undertake all of them. They are given as a guide as to the
expected duties of the grade.
* Defining and
delivering the strategy, plan, key milestones and implementation of the
overall Engineering Solution for the Programme.
and providing overall technical and engineering leadership to the team
assigned to the project to deliver the Engineering solution to time,
cost and quality.
* Ensuring the capture and
clear definition of technical interfaces, dependencies, assumptions and
exclusions. Maintaining adherence to these boundaries through the
* Ensuring the timely and
accurate production of the Requirements for the System and Subsystems
and ensuring that sell-off & IVVQ of the requirements is planned,
documented and achieved in a progressive and low risk manner.
that the Programme / Project’s Design and other Technical Certification
is co-ordinated, complete and coherent with the delivered and installed
base and can be provided for Business approval and delivery to the
* Leading the interfacing with the
Engineering teams of the client and other external Engineering parties
to ensure that the integration and migration of the overall Engineering
solution within its infrastructure and associated projects is achieved
that approval through own and appropriatly delegated authority for all
Engineering documentation and deliverables including specifications,
designs, reports, analysis, code and equipment can be achieved and that
all designs developed by the project have been
* produced by competent designers and subject to competent design check and approval
* Undergone appropriate Inter-Disciplinary Reviews & checks
* Are free from errors and design defects and flaws.
the Programme Director in the management of change, variation,
technical risk and opportunity, recovery and acceleration as it affects
the delivery of the Engineering solution.
* Overseeing the development of cost and time estimates for project activities to meet business and customer objectives.
* Leading and implementing agreed change and stimulating innovation into the project to improve overall out-turn.
* Validate the engineering delivery progress and support the accurate measurement of progress on the project.
with other members of the Programme or bid senior management team to
ensure that the Programme or bid meets its business and customer
* Ensuring that any Corrective
Actions and Observations related to the engineering delivery and
solution are closed in a timely and complete manner.
with the Engineering Functional Teams to ensure that the Programme’s
Engineering team are competent, developed to their full potential,
mobilised and released in a timely and planned manner.
and assisting the Engineering Functional Teams to strengthen the
businesses engineering capabilities and competencies.
Skills, qualifications and experience needed:
multidisciplinary Engineering expertise with a proven record of working
across multiple disciplines and in an Engineering Management capacity
post holder should have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to
communicate at all levels in the spoken and written word. A professional
competent outward appearance, self-motivation and the ability to work
under pressure are vital.
* Ability to develop innovative and low risk practical engineering strategies to manage a complex project through its lifecycle.
* Strong knowledge and proven application of Engineering Project Delivery and processes across the full project lifecycle.
* Can manage a complex project through a defined lifecycle process and is able to tailor generic processes to project needs.
* HND/Engineering Degree or equivalent
* Understanding and practical experience of Agile software/solution development methodologies
* Understanding of Service related projects (ITIL)
* Understanding of Enterprise level IT systems
* Proven experience of engineering transformation/continuous improvement/change leadership.