6 months ago
The software test engineer is responsible for creation, execution and maintenance of the product test solution. They shall use industry standard test tools to develop manual and automated tests in a variety of programming languages. They will work in a multi-disciplined team to uncover and debug problems at the earliest stage of development. The focus of the work will be on testing of embedded devices for use in power system control.
• Be an active participant in the definition of the product test strategy.
• Create test solutions appropriate to the product needs.
• Derive testable requirements and scenarios from customer requirements documentation and Agile user stories.
• Create and run manual tests.
• Create and maintain automated tests.
• Develop and maintain regression tests for production code.
• Implement and maintain test environments and perform compatibility testing.
• Be responsible for ensuring an audit trail for all test activities.
• Be the voice of the customer during product development discussions.
• Keep up-to-date on current test technologies and processes.
• Work alongside customers to debug issues seen in the field
• Clearly document and communicate issues to the development team.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or in “STEM” Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) or equivalent
• Proven (and recent) experience in developing test solutions.
• Experience in testing embedded systems
• Proven understanding of the various testing techniques (Black, White, Grey, Performance, Load, and Security).
• Proven experience in working with Linux, including installation, configuration, administration and scripting
• Working knowledge of Windows 7, 8.x or 10.
• Working knowledge of Ethernet based protocols (e.g. UDP/TCP), and their analysis using tools such as Wireshark
• Working knowledge (or a solid understanding) of testing Embedded Linux devices
• Understanding of the IEC 61850 standard, specifically in device configuration (using SCL) and testing using PC based tools.
• Familiarity with hardware test sets such as Omicron devices
• Working knowledge of PLC dialects (IEC 61131-3) and testing using PC based IDEs.
• Working knowledge of the following protocols: IEEE C37.118 2005 / 2011, DNP3, MODBUS, IEC 61850
• Familiarity with power engineering concepts / electricity transmission and distribution grids
• Familiarity with WAMS concepts and synchrophasor measurements
• Experienced in writing / executing test cases on large scale multi-platform systems.
• Experience in working with directly with customers
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EU/EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post, as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. For further information please visit the UK Border Agency website
Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) clearance is required and must be maintained for this role. Please note that in the event that BPSS clearance cannot be obtained, you may not be eligible for the role and/or any offer of employment may be withdrawn on grounds of national security. Please see the link below for further details regarding the requirements for BPSS clearance
GE Energy Management is helping solve the world’s toughest energy challenges through the design of leading technology solutions for the delivery, management, conversion, and optimization of electrical power for customers across multiple energy-intensive industries. At GE, developing people is embedded in our culture and integral to our growth. We offer the insight and experience that will help our customers build a brighter energy future for all of us.
GE is diversity. We aim to employ the worlds’ brightest minds to help us create an unlimited source of ideas and opportunities. We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences and styles - people like you!
Locations: United Kingdom; Edinburgh
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening.