4 months ago
This is an exciting opportunity to test and validate the next generation of grid applications within orchestrated microservice environments. Working within a team of highly experienced Java software designers and test engineers in the GE Edinburgh Centre of Excellence, this role will aid in the testing and delivery of real-time analytics for the electricity grid.
This is an exciting opportunity to test and validate the next generation of grid applications within orchestrated microservice environments.
Working within a team of highly experienced Java software designers and test engineers in the GE Edinburgh Centre of Excellence, this role will aid in the testing and delivery of real-time analytics for the electricity grid.
You will be responsible for creation, execution and maintenance of the product test solution. They shall use industry standard test tools to develop manual and automated tests in a variety of programming languages. They will work in a multi-disciplined team to uncover and debug problems at the earliest stage of development.
Experience of microservice environments, containerisation and the Kubernetes orchestration environment is highly desirable.
Experience of working in a DevOps environment is also advantageous.
Working within the Software Solutions (SWS) organization and the Wide-Area Monitoring Product Development Team:
• Be an active participant in the definition of the product test strategy.
• Create test solutions appropriate to the product needs.
• Derive testable requirements and scenarios from customer requirements documentation and Agile user stories.
• Create and run manual tests.
• Create and maintain automated tests.
• Develop and maintain regression tests for production code.
• Implement and maintain test environments and perform compatibility testing.
• Work with our Operations Team and other engineers to replicate, identify and log defects
• Be responsible for ensuring an audit trail for all test activities.
• Be the voice of the customer during product development discussions.
• Keep up-to-date on current test technologies and processes.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or in “STEM” Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) or equivalent
• Proven experience developing test solutions either manually or in a test automation environment.
• Experienced in writing / executing test cases against large distributed systems.
• Hands-on working knowledge of any standard Linux shell-scripting language
• Working knowledge of any major Linux distribution
• Working knowledge of Windows Server 2012 R2 or 2016
• Working knowledge of Ethernet protocol (IEEE 802.3), including VLANs (IEEE 802.1Q), and IP layer, including protocols (UDP/TCP), and their analysis using tools such as Wireshark
• Ability to learn quickly and adapt to new technological challenges
• A proactive approach to problem-solving
• Capacity to work autonomously and to take proper initiative
• Ability to organise and work under deadlines, while producing quality deliverables
• Good team skills
• Good communication skills
• Familiarity with power engineering concepts / electricity transmission and distribution grids
• Familiarity with WAMS concepts and synchrophasor measurements
• Experience with virtualization platforms
• Experienced in writing / executing test cases within a microservices architecture.
• Experienced with Kubernetes
• Experienced with Apache/Confluent Kafka
• Coding experience
• Working knowledge of any of the following protocols: IEEE C37.118, DNP3, MODBUS, IECor IEC 61850
• Process and methodology oriented
• Ability to drive people towards a common goal
• Highly collaborative and able to work across the organization to accomplish common goals
GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
Locations: United Kingdom; Edinburgh