about 1 month ago
Software Safety Engineer
MBDA Missile Systems - Deliver For a More Secure Tomorrow
Role Title and Location: Software Safety Engineer
Job Ref No: P7672S
MBDA Level of role: Level 4 or 5 (salary £55,000 to £70,000 doe)
Reports to: Head of Software Product Lines and Capability
As a Software Safety Engineer you will be part of a team delivering software safety arguments for the next generation of advanced missile systems, and have the opportunity to develop your knowledge and skills within the defence systems domain, with a specific focus on the safety assurance of our software products.
What are we looking for?
* Ideally you will have a degree in Safety Engineering, Computer Science, Software Engineering or Systems Engineering, combined with significant experience in delivering safety-related/critical reports and arguments - or equivalent experience.
* You will have been responsible for the authoring and delivery of (software) safety cases and arguments and will be comfortable working with engineers from other disciplines and with international colleagues, and therefore the following are desirable for this role:
* Knowledge and demonstrable application of Modular Safety Cases and use of the Goal Structuring Notation (GSN).
* Familiarisation and working knowledge of standards such as: Def Stan 00-055, 00-056; IEC 61508, and RTCA DO-178C.
* Ability to work with, and produce, FFA / HAZOP / SHARD.
* To succeed in this role you will need to have an eye for detail, understand the need for complete openness and traceability in the safety arguments that you produce, and demonstrate unshakeable integrity in your commitment to the role.
* You will favour a collaborative, open approach to development and have the ability to inspire others and maintain momentum during development.
* The work that you undertake will be across multiple products and sites, so strong communication skills and the ability to motivate others is essential.
What’s in it for you?
* This is a great role for someone with a passion for software safety and its application to modern weapon systems. You will be working with technology that is at the forefront of European missile system design, helping to develop safe, secure and reliable products that our customers can depend upon.
* Many of our products and components are the result of strong international collaboration; consequently, there may be the opportunity to travel both within the UK and to our sites in France, Italy, and Germany.
* We offer a supportive working environment with the opportunity to develop your skills across a wide range of products and technologies.
* Your skills will be developed through a mixture of project exposure, formal training (including professional qualifications), and attendance at conferences.
* You will have the opportunity to work with software engineers in the adoption of new languages and techniques to ensure that they can be used in the development of safety-related/critical software.
What would you get?
*Flexible working *opportunities for career progression *paid overtime (subject to level) *great bonus scheme *comprehensive pension scheme *annual salary review *fantastic working environment and site facilities *social, charitable and sporting activities.
* You will be helping to manage and develop software safety for the next generation of Missile Systems across multiple specialist areas including Embedded, Command and Control (C2) and Mission Planning systems.
* You will be required to co-ordinate safety-related activities across multiple projects and product variants in order to ensure the efficient delivery of software safety solutions into these areas.
* This is a hands-on role that requires a combination of both technical and organisational/inter-personal skills.
* You will be involved in developing MBDA’s software safety processes for the adoption of new technology within a safety context.
What’s great about the team?
* You will be joining the Software Product Lines and Capability team, which supports the development of software that drives some of the most advanced missile systems in the world.
* We small, focused teams of engineers to complex problems and you will be working with a talented group of experienced software and systems on interesting and novel products.
* Supporting multiple projects covering actuation systems, launchers and weapon controllers
MBDA is an award winning company; committed to providing an inclusive working environment where our employees can be themselves and everyone has equal opportunity to reach their full potential. We value difference and know that a diverse community makes for greater innovation and brings a breadth of skills, experience and perspectives.
We welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements. MBDA is a proud member of Working Families – the UK’s work-life balance organisation.
Follow MBDA on LinkedIn and Twitter.
Please Note:MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve the appropriate clearance relevant to the role.