5 months ago
Software Engineering Manager
The OVO Group’s purpose is to drive progress towards net zero carbon living. To reach Plan Zero, we need everyone to come together - not just as customers buying energy, but as members with a common goal. As part of this ambitious plan, our goal is to become the ‘Leading Employer in the UK’ by 2030. If you think you could be the talent we’re looking for, then come and join the adventure!
Our energy and technology companies are working together to lower our collective carbon emissions to net zero by 2030, help our members halve theirs at the same time – and support everyone we work with on their journey to zero carbon.
We’re building a zero-carbon team, inside and out. Of those who share our values, feel inspired by our mission, and trust us to lead the way to zero. When you work for OVO Group, it’s not just a job. It’s the work of a lifetime. And we want the sharpest minds to help. Up for the challenge?
Where in the world of OVO will I be working?
We're growing! We currently have multiple vacancies in various teams, so if you have a preference for a senior, junior or mid level management role, we want to hear from you.
What will I be doing?
Building strong teams is a vitally important aspect of the role, so you’ll be heavily involved in recruitment, onboarding and personal development of engineers. You’ll work closely with the teams’ Product Managers and Agile Coaches to make sure they are balancing quality and flow with delivery of great products to our customers.
We have a very strong engineering culture that’s all about empowerment and ownership: all to solve one of the world’s greatest problems.
Key responsibilities include:
You will look after 2 teams of engineers, up to 10 direct reports. Engineering Managers contribute to both the technical and product vision of their teams, making sure that their products are successful. You’re unlikely to be particularly hands-on with the code, but will have enough technical experience to be able to contribute to and guide technical discussions, bringing the big picture context.
Is this the job for me?
* You’re passionate about nurturing engineering talent, encouraging their development, and also ensuring everyone is aligned with product delivery objectives
* You are genuinely excited about developing products that will positively impact over a million people and also our environment
* You have experience working with high performing engineering teams who have a strong sense of autonomy in their technical decision making
* You use your influence and stakeholder management skills to have wide-reaching impact
* You love building scalable, resilient products
* You seek learning opportunities to deepen your expertise or broaden your knowledge
Ideally you will have:
* Passion about technical excellence, you’ll find a strong culture of automated testing, frequent deployments to production, and using agile practices.
* We trust our development teams to choose their tech stacks. You’ll commonly encounter Scala, TypeScript, Clojure, Node, Java, Docker, Kubernetes, Kafka, React, Cypress, Swift and React Native. We run our services in GCP, AWS and Azure.
* Our cross-functional teams are product focussed, and are responsible for the entirety of their product, including feature conception, coding, testing, deployment, cloud infrastructure, monitoring, alerting, setting SLOs, and support.
* OVO believes in fueling human progress with clean and abundant energy for all. We were set up to always find a better way and challenge the status quo.
Want to check out more?
Working in Tech at OVO Energy
Check out our Tech Stack
Watch our video about joining OVO Tech Team
21 days ago
only 8 days until close
about 1 month ago
only 15 days until close
19 days ago
only 9 days until close
17 days ago
only 11 days until close