7 months ago
Software Engineer (Level 3)
Job number: UK15418
Career area: Design Engineering
UK, East Midlands, Derby
About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Software Engineer (Level 3) to join our Rail team to work in Raynesway, Derby.
What you'll be doing
Were looking for a talented software engineer to join our team in Derby. Working in a serious engineering environment, this isnt the average programming job, we solve real world problems every day and were looking for candidates who want to make a difference to the world around them.
We cover everything from embedded data capture systems, through distributed and cloud-based processing and analysis solutions, all the way to web based visualisation systems and heavy duty, desktop bound, data investigation tools. To achieve all this, we have a very capable, multi-disciplined team of engineers, developers and mathematicians pulling together to create inventive and high-performance solutions for a worldwide market.
We have a number of exciting projects on the go, and many more just waiting to get started, so we have a need to increase our capacity. With this in mind, were looking for candidates who can bring something special to the party coming in with talent and experience to complement and enhance our already very capable team.
What technologies do we work with?
* We develop most systems with C#, using both .net and .net core
* Desktop applications are Windows based, so theyre mainly WPF or WinForms
* We dont really like duplicating effort, so we look to use web UI in some desktop systems
* Integration with high precision movement sensors sometimes requires C++
* Our mathematicians develop high performance algorithms using Matlab
* Many of our systems get deployed into the Azure Cloud
* Large data volumes are hived away in SQL Server and PostgreSQL systems
* Real-time data systems rely on performant communications using Akka or Proto.Actor
* These technologies move really fast, so we like to review our decisions regularly
Whats the environment like?
* Were a friendly and supportive bunch, looking to achieve the team goals
* We like to work smart, but dress casual unless theres a very good reason
* Everyone has different skills, and we have a lot of respect for each others uniqueness
* Flexibility is key to success, so we dont mind if people want to vary their hours a bit
* Even the senior management are approachable and available, theyre part of the team too
If this sort of thing appeals to you, then please get in touch and show us how excited you are.
Who we're looking for
What does the right person look like?
* Someone with industry proven skills in software engineering
* Willingness to share the benefit of their experience by mentoring those less experienced
* Passionate about getting the right solutions to real engineering problems
* A team player, looking to move towards leading from the front in technical projects
* Capable of communicating effectively and efficiently with colleagues at all levels
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Balfour Beatty Rail Limited is an international leader in rail infrastructure engineering projects and the UK's largest rail engineering and services provider. We offer a full range of rail infrastructure activities from high-speed rail to mass rapid transit, covering urban, rural and commuter routes, for both public and private railways.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.