10 months ago
Job number: UK14719
Career area: Design Engineering
UK, East Midlands, Derby
About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Software Engineer to join our Rail team to work in Derby.
What you'll be doing
As a Software Engineer, you will have the following accountabilities:
* Programming, using C# to create both Desktop and Web based software systems;
* Involvement in furthering our migration towards distributed and cloud solutions;
* Undertaking analysis, design and development activities in line with the business software development process, quality plans and all other internal quality processes;
* Developing robust maintainable software for projects allocated by the business;
* Carrying out work in accordance with our ISO-9001 quality system;
* Supporting the full project life-cycle, all the way from requirements capture through to final testing, release and ongoing maintenance;
* Working both independently and as part of a team to ensure systems are working effectively;
* Being able to grow into leadership roles, such as mentoring more junior members of the team and leading projects.
Who we're looking for
You will have the following qualities and experience:
* Software engineering with industry experience required:
* Willingness to share the benefit of their experience by mentoring those less experienced;
* Passionate about getting the right solutions to real engineering problems;
* A team player, looking to move towards leading from the front in technical projects;
* Capable of communicating effectively and efficiently with colleagues at all levels.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Balfour Beatty Rail Limited is an international leader in rail infrastructure engineering projects and the UK's largest rail engineering and services provider. We offer a full range of rail infrastructure activities from high-speed rail to mass rapid transit, covering urban, rural and commuter routes, for both public and private railways.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.