5 months ago
Location: Cheadle, Greater Manchester
Would you like to work for a world renowned company that research, develop and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better and keep us safer? Do you want to be part of a team of leading specialists that are designing solutions that make tomorrow possible, today? Then look no further…
Thales UK have an exciting opportunity for an motivated and talented Software Engineer to work within Defence Mission Systems (DMS), specifically our Maritime Mission Systems (MMS) business unit; a team dedicated to working on some of the next generation, cutting edge sonar technologies.
We’re looking to recruit a Software Engineer, experienced with Java to join our team based in Manchester. Key responsibilities will include the design, implementation and test of Human Computer Interface (HCI), Acoustic processing and middleware products, using industry standard tools and methods.
About the role:
You will be a key member of the Software Development team based at our site in Greater Manchester and you will have the opportunity to collaborate with other Thales sites in the UK and overseas. You will be joining a forward thinking and growing team with excellent prospects for further development and progression. Duties will include but not be limited to the following:
* Define our solution by working with Systems Engineering to develop requirements and a test strategy
* Develop our systems by working as a key member of a project team to deliver a high quality, robust software deliverable that meets customer requirements, on time and within budget
* Support our systems by working with customer support functions to ensure that currently deployed software products are maintained on both land and at sea
* Build our strategy by working with the software management function to ensure that skills, technology and ways of working are developed
Skills, Experience and Qualifications:
It is essential that you have prior experience in software development in Java. The below would be advantageous but if you do not hold these they are not essential; we are committed to hiring individuals with a “can do” and positive attitude with willingness to learn and improve on skills and knowledge.
* Experience with Java8
* Experience of working with AGILE
* Software engineering background
* Software lifecycle and continuous integration experience
As the European number one in defence electronics and the world number two in defence radio communications, Thales is a leading name in the global defence and security markets. In addition to equipping over 40 naval forces across the globe, we have a proud 125-year heritage here in the UK. Today that is represented in our key role delivering the Queen Elizabeth Class aircraft carrier and our provision of advanced radio equipment to all of the Royal Navy’s surface combatants.
* At Thales we provide careers, not just jobs. With Thales employing 62,000 people in 50 countries, our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields.
* Every year this is an Annual review to discuss your performance and set objectives. There is also a Professional development review annually to discuss support and training, enabling you to stay motivated on track with your goals.
* We will always consider flexible working hours and arrangements. We understand that people have different circumstances and therefore happy to discuss flexible working arrangements/hours/part –time.
* We provide excellent benefits along with a competitive salary comprising of private medical, yearly bonus, notable pension contribution along with 201 hours holiday (27 days) plus one company day per year.
About the Cheadle Site:
Our Cheadle site is a warm and energetic community focused on continuously improving processes and the work environment for our staff. The company is investing in further improve the site in the near future, but here are some of the things you will find here:
* On site canteen and Costa Coffee shop
* Social Club – discounted activities for members as well as open events for all employees
* For fitness enthusiasts, there are groups of runners, cyclists and more
Open to any candidate who is able to provide proof of their identity, their employment history and their right to work in the UK during the recruitment process
Great journeys start here - to play a key role in driving the success of a worldwide organisation click the apply button now!