9 months ago
01 Dec 2019
40 hours per week
So, you are passionate about creating great software. You know great software delights customers and makes them smile when it works so simply, everytime. You know great software makes other developers smile and relax when they have to work with it or modify it. You have an uncle called Bob who has drilled into you the reason we need clean code and don’t feel happy to have your code un-integrated at the end of the day.
You have experienced different work environments and you know that working with a team who collaborate, realise there is always more to learn, and listen to their customers is far more fun than going it alone. You know teams like this take work and need to continuously look for improvement opportunities. You’ve discovered the best ways to measure this.
You have been in many developments, participating in every stage of the process. You care about understanding everything from CSS to DevOps, but have realised there is no “best” practice. You always consider how to get testable, simple, maintainable, flexible code and get fast feedback.
Great, we're looking for people like you who can help us build on our world leading platform. People who are technical experts and get things done by using their smarts and whatever tools make sense to get the job done. People who love to stand on the shoulders of giants to solve new problems and thrive in a rapidly innovating space.
Day to day work
Within the software development team you will:
* Write amazing, simple, maintainable, flexible code to deliver agreed team outcomes
* Write tests and run them
* Commit, Integrate, Test, Build and Deliver code
* Participate in design discussions
* Discuss delivery goals with the team
* Discover what your customers need
* Work with the team on continuous improvement of the development process with end-to-end delivery in mind.
* Help maintain clear communication around features and change with all stakeholders
* Lead, coach and grow as a craftsperson and collaborator, learning fast from feedback.
* Become and stay an expert in current and emerging technologies and tool
Desired skills & competencies
We desire you:
* Have the cloud computing experience.
* Really understand the complete SDLC and development methodologies.
* Are experienced with tools (like: JUnit, Go, GitLab, Akka).
* Love working as an embedded member of a cross functional team
* Are able to code, procedurally, functionally or OO in Java and/or Scala
* Know the pros and cons of the technology trends in your field
* Make things work and get things done
* Make excellent informed decisions and know when to ask for advice
* Love to leave things better than you found them
* Are a great communicator (also in English), not at all like the stereotypical geek
* Love agile/lean development and delivering code
* Embrace uncertainty, are happy with challenges and learn fast
* Happily build on ideas of the others
* Think scale
* Have a sense of humor
We think it would be nice if you have:
* A super power
* Permanent Contract
* Multi Sport Card
* Medical Insurance
* Life assurance
* Lunch Vouchers
* Training and Development opportunities
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ocado are an equal opportunities employer and as such make every effort to ensure that all potential employees are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.