12 months ago
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren’t limited to:
* An annual bonus scheme which you can achieve up to 3.5% of base salary
* Privilegecard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 6 months service with 10% off most purchases at Tesco
* A retirement savings plan - 4%-7.5% contribution rate
* Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
* Buy As You Earn Scheme
* Save As You Earn Scheme
* Deals & Discounts through Tesco including Tesco Mobile & Tesco Bank
* Deals and Discounts through many other external businesses
About The Job
Software Development Engineers (SDEs) are the creative minds developing the software applications that make life easier for customers. Responsible for the entire development and support process for a software programme. Your applications make previously complex tasks simple with the impact ranging from saving time, effort or money to re-defining normal.
Being a software engineer in Tesco Labs involves rapidly creating applications to demonstrate innovative concepts or new disruptive technologies, prove hypotheses, and provide validated learnings. You will develop for platforms that encompass web, desktop, mobile, tablet, smartwatches, other wearables, mini-computers and microcontroller devices; creating end to end solutions including middle tier and database components, designing in a service-oriented way where appropriate. You will investigate new development tools, languages, frameworks, and libraries to enhance or speed up the creation of our solutions.
The hybrid nature of the role is such that it also demands good research and product skills, exemplary coaching abiities, and a natural ability to present novel or complex ideas to a wide range of audiences.
* Implement end-to-end components applying my understanding of a specific language and accompanying frameworks with minimal assistance.
* Produce and refactor code without assistance, and observe basic hygiene practices.
* Drive out features via appropriate test frameworks, e.g. drive out features via Junit tests.
* Apply my understanding of different programming paradigms to influence the correct approach for a task.
* Identify patterns in code and refactor the code towards them where it increases understanding and/or maintainability with minimal guidance.
* Translate small behaviour requirements into tasks & code.
* Develop high quality code that can lead to rapid delivery. Ruthlessly pursuing continuous integration and delivery.
* Commit code early and often, demonstrating my understanding of version control & branching strategies.
* Apply my understanding of patterns for integration (events/services).
* Implement relevant project instrumentation.
* Follow the best practices of continuous BDD/TDD/Performance/Security/Smoke testing.
* Work effectively with my product stakeholders to communicate and translate their needs into improvements in my product.
* Participate in team ceremonies.
* Support production systems, resolve incidents and perform root cause analysis.
* Debug code and support/maintain the software solution.
Experience of best practice methodologies.
Written and verbal communication skills.
Problem solving, analysis and computational skills.
Innovative approach to problem solving.
About the Company
Our vision here at Tesco is to become every customer's favourite way to shop online, whether they are at home, out shopping, on the move, anywhere in the world.
We want our customers to be inspired and whatever they are looking for, we’re finding bigger and better ways to provide it.
Everything is underpinned by our continuous drive for the best tools and technology to deliver our vision. We’re driving innovation and transforming our Technology to become the world’s leading e-commerce business.
We need people who share our ambition to deliver for our customers; Passionate and confident people willing to take the initiative and drive us forwards. In return we offer excitement, a great team, an excellent benefit package, and significant career development opportunities.
Joining us means playing a part in defining; building and launching an ambitious roadmap of digital products that could affect the lives of millions of people over the years to come.