about 1 year ago
We recognise that our colleagues work hard to deliver for customers, therefore, we offer excellent benefits that help to make Tesco a great place to work, including a flexible approach to how you manage your working week. These include but aren’t limited to:
* An annual bonus scheme which you can achieve up to 3.5% of base salary
* Privilegecard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 6 months service with 10% off most purchases at Tesco
* A retirement savings plan - 4%-7.5% contribution rate
* Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
* Buy As You Earn Scheme
* Save As You Earn Scheme
* Tesco Car Purchase Scheme (provided by Alphabet).
* Deals & Discounts through Tesco including Tesco Mobile & Tesco Bank
* Deals and Discounts through many other external businesses
About The Job
Software Development Engineers (SDEs) are the creative minds developing the software applications that make life easier for customers. Responsible for the entire development and support process for a software programme. Your applications make previously complex tasks simple with the impact ranging from saving time, effort or money to re-defining normal.
In this job, I
* Use my in-depth knowledge of at least one major programming language, the framework and the tool ecosystem to implement end-to-end systems, which I’m able to do without assistance.
* Profile and optimise code.
* Produce test driven features in a specific programming language and demonstrate that I’m comfortable with the TDD cycle.
* Apply my understanding of cohesion and the SOLID principles to create well structured, maintainable software.
* Apply my understanding of threads, the threading model and concurrent programming.
* Identify patterns in code and refactor the code towards them where it increases understanding and/or maintainability with minimal guidance.
* Translate requirements into tasks & code.
* Develop high quality code that can lead to rapid delivery. Ruthlessly pursuing continuous integration and delivery.
* Commit code early and often, demonstrating my understanding of version control & branching strategies.
* Automate everything by default.
* Write secure code by default.
* Write maintainable code and observe basic hygiene practices.
* Demonstrate the importance of domain model and I coherently model a problem domain within a given context
* Implement relevant project instrumentation.
* Follow the best practices of continuous BDD/TDD/Performance/Security/Smoke testing.
* Work effectively with my product stakeholders to communicate and translate their needs into improvements in my product.
* Lead group discussions on design of particular areas and understand domain well enough to work with Product Managers to drive value
* Support production systems, resolve incidents and perform root cause analysis.
* Debug/find complex problems and support/maintain the software solution.
* Share knowledge with the wider engineering community.
* Mentor and develop those around me.
* Produce proof of concepts to evaluate new tools.
Skills relevant for the job
* Written and verbal communication skills.
* Problem solving, analysis and computational skills.
* Innovative approach to problem solving.
* Customer focus.
Experience relevant for this job
* Experience of best practice methodologies.
* Experience in one or more programming languages.
About the Company
Our vision here at Tesco is to become every customer's favourite way to shop, whether they are at home, out shopping, on the move, anywhere in the world.
We want our customers to be inspired and whatever they are looking for, we’re finding bigger and better ways to provide it.
Everything is underpinned by our continuous drive for the best tools and technology to deliver our vision. We’re driving innovation and transforming our Technology to become the world’s leading retailer.
We need people who share our ambition to deliver for our customers; Passionate and confident people willing to take the initiative and drive us forwards. In return we offer excitement, a great team, an excellent benefit package, and significant career development opportunities.
Joining us means playing a part in defining; building and launching an ambitious roadmap of digital products that could affect the lives of millions of people over the years to come.
If that sounds exciting then we'd love to hear from you.
The position will be based at our Head Office in Welwyn Garden City.