5 months ago
Software Development Director-19000S5M
Job Title: Cloud Software Engineering Director
Manager: Byron Bagaasen, Senior Director, Cloud Native Engineering
Job Location: Great Britain
Organization: Database as a Service (DBaaS)
Cloud Native Engineering (CNE) is a strategic component for providing critical cloud services to multiple Oracle Global Business Unit (GBU) applications. Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI), Oracle’s second generation Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), provides improved performance and reliability. CNE provides a microservice-driven platform, software delivery tool chain, and a continuous integration/continuous delivery operations model to support high margin, highly elastic, and highly available Software as a Service (SaaS) applications.
As a member of the CNE leadership and management team, the candidate has the mandate to provide strategic direction and tactical support to DevOps engineering teams under them. The candidate will work with other leadership team members to establish business priorities to create and operate a secure and scalable, services-rich, multi-purpose cloud environment to run on OCI. CNE supports applications from multiple industries including: Communications, Construction & Engineering, Financial Services, Food & Beverage, Hospitality, Retail, and Utilities. Leadership and management team members are expected to be able to liaison with other CNE and GBU leadership/management team members to determine business value and priority.
Roles & Responsibilities
The candidate will supervise highly skilled, highly motivated engineers using agile methodologies based on Scrum or Kanban, and incorporating enterprise agile practices from Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe). CNE teams embrace a DevOps environment – the Developers are the Operators. The work environment is to treat everything as code (code, configuration, infrastructure, pipelines, everything) to achieve the highest quality product in the most efficient amount of time.
- - Work with their Product Owner and team members to ensure business requirements are established and met
- - Ensure that their team members use Everything-As-Code methodologies to ensure traceability, configurability, immutability, repeatability, and governability
- - Coordinate schedules for their teams to support a follow-the-sun model for 24x7 support provided by designated engineers on a rotating basis following Oracle and in-country policies
- - Ensure DevOps teams are contributing to full development and test automation of domain agnostic services developed for our Oracle CNE SaaS microservice applications
- - Attend training as required to meet Oracle and CNE compliance and regulatory standards. Perform daily tasks in accordance to compliance and regulatory standards
- - Other duties as assigned
CNE is seeking hands-on technologists with the depth and breadth to evaluate complex environments and technology stacks, and to build/code/maintain efficient services and solutions. We use tools such as Java, Python, RESTful API, Docker, Kubernetes, Jenkins, GitLab/GitLabCI, and more, to deliver services in a Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment, agile development environment. You will have a major impact on Oracle’s business by transforming how Oracle’s SaaS/Cloud applications are delivered and maintained for enterprises, and you will play a major role in the transformative journey that Oracle is going through towards the Cloud.
Your managerial responsibilities will entail day-to-day developer oversight, training, work assignment, adoption and adherence to methods and practices, adoption and adherence to standard coding patterns, timely delivery, and code quality. The Developers you oversee are responsible for design, develop, deliver, operate and support functions.
In this capacity you exhibit the following qualities:
* Self-Starter: You are motivated and ambitious and you pursue your work without the help or prompting of others.
* Problem Solver: You focus on problem solving and your can-do attitude accelerates our work and brings our solutions alive. You have strong analytical skills and a deep understanding of product development.
* Efficient: You perform your work in a well-organized and competent way with minimum wasted effort or expense.
* Aligned: You are aligned to the goals and objectives of the organization, the organization’s development agenda, and the management team’s priorities, doing your part in a flexible and proactive way to achieve the overall mission.
* Communicator: You will communicate value and vision to peers and subordinates, motivating your team to adopt best practices and new technologies where value is added. Mentor junior engineers to grow professionally and personally to reach their potential.
- - BS or MS degree in computer science, or equivalent
- - Significant experience in software engineering and technical leadership with proven results in designing, implementing, and maintaining complex systems and services
- - Experience as a people manager with proven track record of recruiting and onboarding a high-performing team
- - Proficient in hyper-scaled distributed systems and cloud implementations with proven track record in Performance, Scalability, and Resiliency
- - Deep understanding of cloud design patterns
- - Comfortable in CI/CD and DevOps work styles
- - Experienced with SDLC/Agile/Scrum processes
- - Ability to mentor and coach an engineering workforce
Oracle GBUs provide services to many critical systems globally requiring 24x7 support. DevOps engineers will rotate with other team members in a designated, on-call status following in-country requirements. CNE’s primary support model is follow the sun, utilizing geographically diverse team members during normal working hours to provide support. CNE will strive to have subject matter experts distributed globally. With geographic diversity, countries and regions have a broader array of holidays requiring a flexible support schedule across multiple geographies. Additionally, coverage is required through the weekend.
To provide the required support to Oracle customers, CNE will use additional compensation to cover extended business hours and/or on-call pay based on in-country laws and Oracle policy. In general, there will be a Primary and Secondary engineer designated in advance to provide coverage for select services. If numerous services are supported in a specific geographic region, there may be more than one set of Primary/Secondary engineers selected. Software engineers and database administrators will engage in activities to restore services that are down or degraded. This may be as simple as running an existing script to restart a service or executing a standard operating procedure, or may require code changes with review steps, integration, testing, and software deployments to restore a service to normal operation. In addition, engagement with other Oracle development and support teams may be needed.Detailed Description and Job Requirements
Manage a team that designs, develops, troubleshoots and debugs software programs for databases, applications, tools, networks etc.
As a director of the software engineering division, you will apply your extensive knowledge of software architecture to manage software development tasks associated with developing, debugging or designing software applications, operating systems and databases according to provided design specifications. Build enhancements within an existing software architecture and envision future improvements to the architecture.
Assists in the development of short, medium, and long term plans to achieve strategic objectives. Regularly interacts across functional areas with senior management or executives to ensure unit objectives are met. Ability to influence thinking or gain acceptance of others in sensitive situations. Demonstrated leadership and people management skills. Strong communication skills, analytical skills, thorough understanding of product development. BS or MS degree or equivalent experience relevant to functional area. 7 years of software engineering or related experience.
As part of Oracle's employment process candidates will be required to successfully complete a pre-employment screening process. This will involve identity and employment verification, professional references, education verification and professional qualifications and memberships (if applicable).
Job: Product Development
Location: GB-United Kingdom
Job Type: Regular Employee Hire