12 months ago
QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Job description/Person specification
QinetiQ – Software Engineering – Apprenticeship Programme 2019
Level 4 Software Developer Apprenticeship
Software Engineers in QinetiQ cover a wide variety of locations, disciplines and areas of research. We have Software Engineers on almost all of our sites around the UK.
Are you keen to kick start a career with gaining experience across a powerful organisation?
As an apprentice you will be enrolled into QinetiQ’s Early Careers Apprenticeship Programme. This has been designed to give you key exposure to the company as well as all the necessary training for your selected role. You will be assigned to a Skill Group based on your expertise and experience. Once situated, you will be given access to world class technology, unique facilities and a strong support network to help develop your career path.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package with the chance to do some fascinating work in supportive teams, alongside world experts in their fields. You’ll be surrounded by opportunities; it's just up to you to seize them!
What will you be expected to do?
The group encompasses all of our Software Engineers in the company. There is read across into the Information Services Function – where we direct the procurement of IT equipment and associated off the shelf software. Our Software Engineers work across the company, building and integrating for our customers’ advantage.
Software engineering in QinetiQ supports a broad range of our capabilities from designing submarines to cyber security. As a software engineer in QinetiQ you can expect to be involved in application development across a broad range of R&D, product and services projects from mission systems to simulation & training. As you develop you may get a chance to be involved in specialist software engineering activities such as assuring software is fit to fly in a fast jet.
What do we look for in our apprentices?
• To be a team player
• Self-motivation and enthusiasm
• Persuasiveness and responsiveness
• Drive and determination to succeed
• Strong communication skills, both oral and written
• Willingness and eager to learn
• Understanding and embrace the QinetiQ values
What flexible benefits do we offer to our apprentices?
•Annual Salary Review
• Recognition Scheme, volunteering - helping charities & local communities
• Up to 50% discount on meals across a wide range of restaurants
• Up to 15% off high street stores and 40% off cinema tickets
• Buy and sell annual leave, flexible working, social events, employee assistance 24/7
• Gym and sports facilities on larger sites
• 25 days standard annual leave + bank holidays
• Cycle to work scheme
• & much more!
In QinetiQ, writing software can mean anything from embedded, real-time systems to full-blown application development.
In addition to software-only tasks, there will be many occasions where you will be working alongside subject matter experts from a diverse range of disciplines to solve real world problems
There will be a wide range of personal development opportunities including on the job learning and formal courses organised by our QinetiQ Academy.
Knowledge, skills and personal qualities required:
• Minimum GCSE grade C in Maths & English (Level 4 or 5)
• Good interpersonal, influencing, analytical and team working skills
• Good planning, organisation and coordinating abilities
• The ability to learn quickly to develop domain knowledge appropriate to the tasks required
• Good written and oral communication skills, including presentation skills
•Ensure that customers’ requirements and tasks are fully understood and that problems and issues are reliably identified at the outset;
•Contribute to the completion of, a detailed technical and commercial proposal for meeting customers’ requirements; provide presentations, reports and papers to customers and at conferences and symposia in support of the bid process as required;
•Build and maintain technical networks internally and externally; develop good personal relationships.
•This role is likely to involve travel in UK and possibly overseas and occasional periods away from home;