11 months ago
Airbus DS Portsmouth (ex Cassidian)
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2017, it generated revenues of € 67 billion and employed a workforce of around 130,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners from 100 to more than 600 seats. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as Europe’s number one space enterprise and the world’s second largest space business. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
A vacancy for a software Developer has arisen within Airbus Defence & Space in Portsmouth. The successful applicant will join our Satcom Network Management Systems (NMS) group.
This role is based primarily at our Portsmouth site but includes scope to travel across our other UK sites. You will gain hands-on experience in Software Development and will have the opportunity to deal with challenging situations in a real world example. Also you will have access to a catalogue of training, both online and in person, which will enable you to develop your skills and experience.
Our ideal candidate would be adaptable, a quick learner, and have an eye for detail with strong problem solving abilities. The candidate should be comfortable using their initiative and be self-motivated, as well as enjoying being a key part of our existing team. The candidate must be able to contribute to all stages of a development lifecycle including problem definition, design, test and deployment as well as being able to document and report technical information clearly and concisely.
You will be responsible for the implementation of new software features and the maintenance and improvement of existing software. You will be expected to maintain clear and regular communications with management, stakeholders and team members.
The successful applicant will need to be eligible to gain UK SC Security Clearance to undertake the role.
Tasks & accountabilities
Your main tasks and responsibilities will include:
* Software Development of new features
* Maintenance and improvement of existing software features
* Report and documentation of technical information
* Investigation, diagnosis and resolution of Software issues
* Provide a supporting role in design, code and test reviews
* Provide support to projects, test facilities & live networks either from Portsmouth Lab, at System Test Facilities or on site
Some of the tools and technologies used include:
* JIRA Ticketing System
* Configuration Management and change control tools such as Clearcase and Clearquest
* Requirements Management tools
* Virtual machines
* Apache Tomcat Server
* Windows and Linux OS
* Eclipse IDE
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
We are looking for applicants with the following skills and experience:
* Proven knowledge in software development using the Agile methodology
* Experience using Java
* Experience in investigation, diagnosis and resolution of Software issues
* Strong communication skills in order to work in a collaborative team environment
* Knowledge in Software testing (including testing using automated techniques)
* Integration and fault finding experience with complex systems