6 months ago
Airbus Defence and Space Portsmouth
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2017, it generated revenues of € 67 billion and employed a workforce of around 130,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners from 100 to more than 600 seats. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as Europe’s number one space enterprise and the world’s second largest space business. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
A vacancy for a Software Architect has arisen within Airbus Defence & Space in Portsmouth. The successful applicant will join our Secure Communications group.
This is an excellent opportunity for a capable Software Architect with proven experience in delivering Software solutions within an agile environment. The Architect shall be responsible for specific areas of the design and overseeing implementation of it by a team of Software Engineers. The Architect shall contribute to all stages of the software development lifecycle and thus have solid experience in requirements analysis, design (particularly using UML), development (particularly using Java) as well as best-practice test techniques. The Architect must have a broad range of experience with software and its applications, experience of Software development using the Agile methodology and knowledge of complex software systems. The Architect must have demonstrable evidence of the ability to influence, negotiate and engage in technical discussions with key stakeholders. The architect must be flexible to travel in order to support customer integration phases.
The successful applicant will need to be eligible to gain UK SC Security Clearance to undertake the role.
Tasks & accountabilities
Your main tasks and responsibilities will include:
* Ownership of design areas
* Overseeing implementation team in delivery of design
* Working with team to select tools, frameworks, and libraries
* Task estimation and scheduling activities
* Software Development, Testing and Documentation
* Supporting Software and System Integration
* Mentoring and guiding Software Engineers
This role may involve some travel for business and as such you must be able to travel accordingly.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
We are looking for applicants with the following skills and experience:
* Degree level education (to Masters level would be preferable)
* Java core (version 8+)
* Java frameworks such as Spring Boot, Spring, JPA
* Microservices or similar architecture frameworks
* Knowledge and use of major design patterns
* Web Service patterns
* RESTful API design
* Distributed systems
* Experience of deployment using Container/VM solutions
* UML/SysML design using Enterprise Architect, or similar
* Working knowledge of Application Server Containers (Tomcat / GlassFish / JBoss)
* Common software design patterns
* System integration patterns (EAI)
* Knowledge of test strategies (unit/integration/system)
* Ability to self-motivate and to motivate team members
* Ability to promote innovation in self and others
* Ability to interact with internal & external stakeholders in a confident and professional manner
* Ability to deliver to quality, cost and schedule
* Ability to follow processes but also challenge to improve processes
Many of our staff work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
We value the strength that diverse perspectives bring to our business, so if you require any reasonable adjustments to fully participate in the recruitment process please discuss this with the recruiter who contacts you.