3 months ago
Amey Consulting, as part of the Transpire Alliance, are working on delivering the high-profile Transpennine Route Upgrade (TRU) project which is a major programme of rail improvement that will have a real and lasting impact on people and communities in the North of England. We are connecting towns and cities, improving journey times and supporting economic growth for generations to come. TRU aims to deliver faster, longer, more frequent and more reliable services across the north of England, from Newcastle, Hull and York towards Manchester and Liverpool via Leeds. The route covers 76 miles of track, 8 tunnels, 15 viaducts, 25 stations and 270 bridges.
As a result of the long-term contract on TRU, Amey Consulting are looking to recruit across all of our Northern offices to support our design engineering team.
The right type of person to join our team would be:
Driven to produce highly technical and complex design solutions
Dedicated to a high-profile, long-term project
Customer-focused, giving attention to detail ensuring client satisfaction
Someone who values flexible working, ensuring a healthy work-life balance to suit every lifestyle
Enthusiastic and enjoys being a part of a diverse team
Interested in learning and mentoring opportunities
Focused on personal and professional development
What is the purpose of this role?
To work as part of the Electrical Power design team to deliver projects.
What will this role involve?
* Actively contributing to site surveys
* Collating technical information from surveys, inspections and other sources (e.g. eB)
* Demonstrating a good understanding of the design process
* Ability to undertake design and assessment work for electrical and lighting installations
* Engaging in CDM/risk analyses
* Undertaking designs to a level that complies with Network Rail, British and European Standards
* Keeping up to date with current Network Rail, British and European Standards
* Preparing design and assessment reports
* Producing design drawings using CAD
* Support the design team during design submissions
* Effective communication with other design/construction disciplines and sub-contractors
The work is office based but will include a considerable amount of site survey work. This will include carrying out site surveys for electrical and lighting purposes and undertaking night time inspections. This survey work may include overnight stays.
What are we looking for?
* Ideally having BEng/BSc or HNC in Electrical Engineering or equivalent, or working towards such a qualification.
* Member of the Institution of Engineering & Technology (IET)
* Full UK driving licence
* Ideally trained in the 17th Edition of IET Wiring Regulations
* Good level of computer literacy in Microsoft Office and Excel
* Proficient in the use of the English language (both written and spoken)
* Good knowledge of Network Rail, British and European electrical and lighting Standards
* Good understanding of systems engineering including the Verification & Validation and SRAM processes
* Good understanding of CDM and CSM processes
* Good appreciation of project management processes and structures
* Demonstrates good commercial awareness
* Ideally two years’ experience in electrical design. Railway experience is not essential
* Competent with using electrical design software (e.g. Amtech, etap, etc.)
* Good team player
* Uses clear communication lines within the electrical design team
* Self-motivated and pro-active in terms of producing designs
What makes this role unique?
Taking responsibility for the design and assessment of electrical power installations on a project.