5 months ago
Network Rail is at the heart of revitalising Britain’s railway. From Crossrail – Europe’s largest civil engineering project – to investment in world-class stations and major programmes of electrification, we're involved in some of the most ambitious and state of the art ventures that this country has ever seen.
This opportunity sits in Supply Chain Operations, a newly formed division of Route Services that procures safe, sustainable, products and services that are in turn used to improve and enhance the rail infrastructure across Britain.
Our aim is to deliver excellent value and service to our customers, helping the rail industry to work together to deliver a more cost effective railway.
What do we do?
Our extensive supply chain network plays a crucial role in helping to run a safe and efficient railway.
Every year we:
· Buy and deliver 2,000km of rail and 2.5 million tonnes of ballast.
· Operate 1,200 rail vehicles.
Behind the scenes we:
· Process £7,000,000,000 of payments.
· Handle over 23,000 IT helpdesk calls.
· Make sure everyone’s wages are paid on time.
· Mechanical and electrical locking fitters maintain 468 signal boxes and 387 ground frames.
· Operational property helpdesk process over 200,000 calls.
What will you be doing?
Millerhill AHD (Aggregates Handling Depot) is a recycling facility that plays a crucial role in recycling and processing rail track materials to be re-used for ongoing work projects, or sold on to our customers depending on their requirements. The materials coming on site will mainly be for ballast and aggregate yard for track renewal.
Working in a fast paced and dynamic AHD, you will be responsible for loading and unloading goods from rail wagons using a Komatsu PC360 (which is fitted with a clamshell); delivering recycled products to road vehicles using a Caterpillar 972 Wheeled Loading Shovel; operating the weighbridge safely; producing tickets for our customers; and also filing out daily stock reports to ensure good database management practices.
About the role (External)
What will you be doing?
· Handling all aggregate goods from wagons and delivering products to vehicles using a Komatsu PC360 and Caterpillar 972 Wheeled Loading Shovel.
· Carrying out work safely and in accordance with our safe systems of work procedures, method statements or other instructions; safety is paramount and you will need to report any Close Call incidents that happen.
· Undertaking work associated with the duties that you are trained for and competent in, including advising the Site Manager in regards to additional training that you might require.
· Checking that all vehicles, plant, tools, equipment and materials under your control are fit for used and are disposed of correctly.
· Strictly adhere to, and enforce, company policies and procedures, particularly safety ones, at all times. Ensure continuous improvement practices are achieved in relation to safety goals.
Job Skills, Experience & Qualifications
Do you meet the criteria for this role?
· A valid certificate in operation of 360 excavator/material re-handler.
· A valid certificate in operation of a wheeled loading shovel.
· IT literate and can use programmes like Microsoft Office.
· Experience working with aggregate goods in a rail environment.
· Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
· Experience working in a busy worksite environment.
· Knowledge in daily stock reporting and basic data management.
· Relevant driving license qualification.
· A team player who can work collaboratively with others to achieve an objective.
How To Apply- External
Keeping people safe on the railway is at the heart of everything we do, safe behaviour is therefore a requirement of working for Network Rail. Applicants should demonstrate their personal commitment to safety in their application.
Network Rail positively embraces flexible working recognising that employees may wish to balance work and family/home life.
Network Rail can offer you a rewarding career with competitive pay and excellent benefits including a choice of contributory pension schemes, a generous annual leave package, a bonus scheme and an annual 75% subsidy on season tickets (to a maximum amount of £2,500).
Network Rail adheres to a structured pay framework, any salary offered will be within the following pay range:
Network Rail adheres to the Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS). This is a government standard for pre-employment vetting. All prospective employees will undergo the required checks to meet this standard before joining the company.
Closing date: 5TH July 2018, late applications will not be accepted. We retain the right to close the advert before the listed closing date based on application volumes.
Please clearly show in your application how your skills and experience match the requirements of this role.
Network Rail welcomes applications regardless of age, disability, marital status (including civil partnerships), pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, transgender status, sex (or gender), employment status, trade union affiliation, or other irrelevant factor. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.