about 1 year ago
Network Rail is at the heart of revitalising Britain’s railway. From Crossrail – Europe’s largest civil engineering project – to investment in world-class stations and major programmes of electrification, we're involved in some of the most ambitious and state of the art ventures that this country has ever seen.
This opportunity sits in Supply Chain Operations, a newly formed division of Route Services that procures safe, sustainable, products and services that are in turn used to improve and enhance the rail infrastructure across Britain.
Our aim is to deliver excellent value and service to our customers, helping the rail industry to work together to deliver a more cost effective railway.
What do we do?
Our extensive supply chain network plays a crucial role in helping to run a safe and efficient railway.
Every year we:
· Buy and deliver 2,000km of rail and 2.5 million tonnes of ballast.
· Operate 1,200 rail vehicles.
Behind the scenes we:
· Process £7,000,000,000 of payments.
· Handle over 23,000 IT helpdesk calls.
· Make sure everyone’s wages are paid on time.
· Mechanical and electrical locking fitters maintain 468 signal boxes and 387 ground frames.
· Operational property helpdesk process over 200,000 calls.
What will you be doing?
Crewe AHD (Aggregates Handling Depot) is a recycling facility that plays a crucial role in recycling and processing rail track materials to be re-used for ongoing work projects, or sold on to our customers depending on their requirements. The materials coming on site will mainly be for ballast and aggregate yard for track renewal.
As a Site Manager, you are the leader and will have excellent managerial skills that inspire and motivate others. You will guide forward day-to-day site activities, manage a team, and ensure the site is being run efficiently and safety at all times. Where possible, you will look to identify areas for improvement to ensure continual increases in business performance and operational efficiency.
About the role (External)
What will you be doing?
1. Leading daily activities on site, managing the team and ensuring that their associated safety and productivity is meeting the required targets.
2. Managing the correct deployment of plant and your team, including competencies, training and assessment on site.
3. Monitoring and undertaking replenishment of stock levels (including vehicle based items) on site to provide the required equipment and materials, whilst maintaining efficient stock and cost controls.
4. Overseeing and enforcing safe and efficient delivery of work activities; associated productivity, resource and production targets in accordance with company procedures and current legislation.
5. Monitoring general health and safety issues, developing Risk Assessments and Safe Working Procedures with a view to improving working techniques and reducing accident statistics.
6. Carrying out safety inspections and checks of the materials processing activities in line with current standards.
7. Assisting in local investigations regarding materials processing where required and follow up identified actions.
8. Assisting in the identification of and manage the implementation of safety, quality and efficiency improvement initiatives for materials processing activities.
Job Skills, Experience & Qualifications
Do you meet the criteria for this role?
· Able to manage a team and motivate team members.
· Able to manage the production and delivery of a comprehensive and compliant work programme.
· Able to demonstrate, promote and embed safe working behaviours within the team.
· Able to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
· Able to coach, influence and develop others.
· Knowledge of depot safety rules and regulations.
· Experienced in managing a busy yard and dealing with varying types of plant.
· Experienced in dealing with permanent way materials and grading of sleepers, rails etc.
· Fully qualified First Aider; Personal Track Safety (PTS); IOSH Managing Safely Certification.
· Knowledge of factors and activities critical to depot management.
· Knowledge of relevant railway geography and network capability.
· Knowledge of welding and grinding materials management processes, systems and standards.
· Knowledge of budget management and cost/waste processes and techniques.
· Able to work under pressure.
· Competent to undertake banksman duties and implement relevant procedures.
How To Apply- External
Keeping people safe on the railway is at the heart of everything we do, safe behaviour is therefore a requirement of working for Network Rail. Applicants should demonstrate their personal commitment to safety in their application.
Network Rail positively embraces flexible working recognising that employees may wish to balance work and family/home life.
Network Rail can offer you a rewarding career with competitive pay and excellent benefits including a choice of contributory pension schemes, a generous annual leave package, a bonus scheme and an annual 75% subsidy on season tickets (to a maximum amount of £2,500).
Network Rail adheres to a structured pay framework, any salary offered will be within the following pay range:
Network Rail is required to comply with UK Government standards when carrying out pre-employment checks for all new starters; this includes a basic criminal record check. In addition to the basic criminal record check, in accordance with the UK Government we are also required to verify your identity, right to work in the UK and previous three years employment history.
Closing date: 06TH July 2018, late applications will not be accepted. We retain the right to close the advert before the listed closing date based on application volumes.
Please clearly show in your application how your skills and experience match the requirements of this role.
Network Rail welcomes applications regardless of age, disability, marital status (including civil partnerships), pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, transgender status, sex (or gender), employment status, trade union affiliation, or other irrelevant factor. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.